Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass Question

Hi all,
I have two questions:
I am considering buying a 3 day Roma Pass (actually I am thinking to buy the Omnia Vatican + Rome pass) it includes the Vatican, St. Peters, and Sistine as a skip the line . It also includes the Hop on Hop off bus which sounds pretty cool based on reviews plus of course all the other stuff. Question 1: Do any of you have experience with this pass? Is it worthwhile? ( I have three full days and three nights) One of the museums it includes which I plan to visit is the Borghese Gallery. This is my 2nd question. On the Borghese Gallery website you actually reserve your time slot when you buy your tickets. This guarantees your specific two hours that you get in the gallery. When you buy the roma pass do you have the opportunity to reserve your time slot ahead of time. This is very important to me as I have a specific time slot that I need to use for the Borghese. If you know anything about this please let me know.
sher

Posted by
11613 posts

Borghese: to use the Roma Pass here, you have to call the phone number on the website (during Italian business hours) to make the reservation, and tell them you are using the Roma Pass. Be there 30 minutes prior to your appointment time.

The Sistine Chapel is inside the Vatican Museums so no separate fee. Saint Peter's Basilica is an active church, so it's free. Omnia doesn't sound like a great idea, but it's up to you.

Posted by
32747 posts

There are people who buy the Omnia pass so some people must like it, but it is regularly described here as way overpriced.

It will get you into the Vatican museums where is you walk all the way through, the Sistine Chapel is at the very far end. It won't do anything for you for the Sistine Chapel, you will be in there with all the other hundreds of people jostling for a space and hearing the guards repeatedly shout both "SSShhhhhh" and "NO PHOTO!".

You could just as easily get into the Vatican museums by buying your ticket and time on line for very little more money than the ticket itself.

You have to be able to cram all the things you have paid for with that Omnia pass in the 3 days. Sitting on a very slow hop on hop off bus (in the baking sun) which cannot go particularly close to many attractions because of the road layouts is not always a good way to save time.

It certainly isn't a way to save money.

Posted by
4152 posts

The HO/HO buses in Rome are not very good. Most main areas are pedestrian zones so the buses won't get you very close. Most of the time you end up walking a few blocks to get to the sites.

The omnia pass is very overpriced. You can save almost half of what they charge by booking the Vatican museums for yourself and just getting the romapass.

With or without a pass you must still book a specific time for the Borghese. When using any type of pass for it you must call to make the booking. I can't guarantee you'll get the specific time slot you need as it depends on the crowd levels and if those tickets are available.

In my opinion I would steer clear of the omnia pass and just book the Vatican museums, either tour or just entry tickets, on your own. Add up the costs of the other sites you wish to visit to see if the romapass will save you money. If it does then you should buy it. Remember that it comes with a three day transport pass to help you get around the city. Also, with the romapass, you can use the two free entries for ANY of the sites covered by the pass. You are not limited to the short list of sites the omnia insists on. Depending on the sites you wish to see it may save you more money to pay the reduced fee for the Borghese and use the free entry for another site. You'll need to do the math to be sure. You may also find that the romapass won't save you any money and so you may find that booking sites on your own is the way to go.

Donna

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all very much. I LOVE this forum. I will not be buying the Omnia Vatican + Roma pass. It makes no sense. (I think I was reading rigged reviews) I have also found the answer to my question about the Borghese gallery.

Posted by
30 posts

Fyi, we used the Roma Pass for the Borghese. We did buy them ahead of time over the phone. Easy. However, the woman on the phone said nothing about getting there early. Rick mentions be there 30 minutes early. When we checked in to pick up the tickets, we were told their "policy for the Roma Pass" is that you need to be there 45 minutes ahead, and since we weren't, our reservation had been cancelled. I explained we hadn't been told that on the phone. She said "is impossible", then proceeded to give us our tickets (?!).
Whatever, we got in, it was covered by the Roma Pass, and the gallery was wonderful.

Posted by
4152 posts

Every guide book will let you know to be at the gallery at least a half hour early. It's also mentioned on all travel forums and the official Borghese gallery website.

I'm glad things worked out for you and that you enjoyed the Gallery.

Donna