Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass -- Help!

Hello all: we are going to be in Rome from this Saturday through Monday and would like to avoid the lines for the Coliseum and the Forum. My understanding is that the best way to do this with certainty is to buy the Roma Pass. Do I need to buy the Roma Pass our two children, ages 3 and 5? I found the Roma Pass web-site to be extremely confusing with respect to who qualifies for free entry. Also, is there an advantage to buying online and then picking up from the main Train Station? As opposed to just going to the train station on Saturday and buying a Roma Pass? Is there usually a long line at the main Train Station's tourist info post?

Posted by
65 posts

Felix,
My wife and I bought our Roma Pass at a tobbacco shop on Cavour St. They are all over Rome and charge the same price. I would recommend doing this because you would not have to hunt down a certain spot where you reserved it. There will not be a line at any of these. If you are coming in on the train to the main station then it makes sense to buy them there and use them for your transport into the city. If you are flying in then the pass does not cover your trip into the city or back if you are trying for that. Your children are free on public transit since they are under 10. That part of the pass does not help them. Each site has it's own definition of children and rates. At the Coliseum newborns are free. EU says a newborn is one that has to be carried or be in a stroller. 3-5 you will pay the same as you and your wife. For your second free pass destination make sure it is another place you will have to pay for your children so that you can maximize your pass. Have a great trip!

Posted by
4152 posts

Technically, your kids will have to pay for entry to most sites. If they are EU citizens they would get free entry but coming from the U.S. I assume this is not the case. Some places will let small children in free of charge but you really cannot count on that. If you want to risk not buying them a romapass that's up to you. You can buy the romapass at an TI stand or most newsstands or tobacchi stands as well as any of the sites that honor them. The list is on the website if you want specific locations. I would suggest buying them once in Rome as you'll be able to pick it up anywhere and won't be restricted to the location you must choose when buying them online. There is no discount for buying them ahead of time. As to if there's usually a long line, it really depends on the day and the time of day. Donna

Posted by
265 posts

If you're going to the main train station from the airport find where the baggage storage is. Inside you'll find the TI and there you can purchase the Roma Pass. When you get off the express train from the airport, keep walking straight towards the very front of the station. If you get to the Mc Donald's, you've gone too far. Pay close attention it will be on your left (you could walk right by it). Count on paying for the kids now, but if they tell you it's OK, you've saved some money. But with these savvy Romans and their money scheming ways, WHO KNOWS??? GOOD LUCK

Posted by
94 posts

What my family did was get the Roma Pass in Italy. We were staying at the Hotel Triano and found the booth up the street. My daughter is older -16 so I'm not sure what they have for younger children.I believe they have it at the airport also but I'm not sure. When you get to Italy just ask the personel at the hotel they should direct you. Ours was very helpful. Also if you want I hear you can email your hotel and they can get the pass for you. Have fun

Posted by
74 posts

You can buy the Roma pass if you want the travel options included, but when we visited Rome in late June, we did not buy the Roma pass. We bought a bus pass and used it on our own. And we went to the Palatine Hill ticket office to purchase our Coliseum-Forum-Palatine Hill tickets. There was no line there whereas there was a long line at the Coliseum. We then went to the Coliseum and bypassed the line waiting to purchase tickets and walked right in. This was not an original idea on our part. RS recommends it and it worked great for us at the height of the tourist season in Rome. Enjoy your stay. Rome is a wonderful city.