Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass???

Seems that a lot has changed with the Roma Pass. I am wondering if it is worth the cost? I don't see how to reserve Colosseum entrance times using the pass, so that also makes me suspect.

Posted by
16409 posts

Answers to "worth it" questions are almost always up to personal preference. :O)

You can find the answer to reserving entry times at the Colosseum with the pass on the FAQ page of the Roma Pass website:

http://www.romapass.it/en/FAQ/

Among the options they provide is making a same-day reservation when you get to Rome. I don't advise this as there are reports of pass-holders finding no availability on the day they tried to visit. Follow the instructions for an advance reservation.

That said, as it also no longer covers entry to Galleria Borghese (ignore the instructions for making a reservation for that one on the FAQ page as it not longer applies) I would say no, the pass isn't a good buy.

Posted by
76 posts

Yes, I guess I knew that when asking, and I didn't provide much info. We plan to go to the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine (and the rest of the Caesar Shuffle), Vatican, V. museum, Sistine, St Peters, maybe a bike ride on the Appian Way, catacombs. I didn't know anything about Borghese until planning this trip. It looks good, but I'll leave it up to my son.

We will be staying very near the Colosseum. I guess I wasn't sure how much we would use the public transportation (included in the pass). Only a few of the sites we are going to take part in the Roma Pass. So maybe that makes it a "no".

Posted by
16409 posts

Of the attractions you list ( i didn't check what's on the "Shuffle") the pass will only be good at the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine and a couple of small, inexpensive attractions out on the Appia (not the catacombs), and you're limited to just two free choices on the 72-hour version. We haven't needed to use public transit enough in the Rome to make a pass worthwhile: got by just fine on some individual BIT tickets. They are 1.5 euro apiece, we bought them a few at a time from tobacco shops and newsstands, and used them for a couple of longer hops we wanted to use the metro/urban train for to save the shoe leather + cover ground a little faster. It's such an interesting city to walk! The pass doesn't cover transport to/from the airports, if case you hadn't gotten to that part on the website.

We much preferred the Borghese to the mob at the Vatican Museums because of the excellent crowd control, intimate size, interesting internal decoration and the fabulous Berninis but I also understand that the Sistine is a must for many so do both if you're a fan of the arts. :O)

Posted by
76 posts

Thank you all for your advice. I nixed the Roma Pass. I was intrigued by the night at the museum and ended up booking a 7:30 PM time slot. However, I am starting to worry that 3 1/2 hours isn't nearly enough time. My son is a history lover-no, he is a walking encylopedia of history, especially anything ancient (archaeology/history/Biblical studies major). The two of us spent 5 hours viewing the King Tut exhibit in Los Angeles last August. And, that was miniscule in size compared to the Vatican!

Should I get another day ticket to make sure that we see everything?

Posted by
4105 posts

If you do get another day ticket, make sure it's on a different day. Using the morning entry, you beat the crowds for about 11/2 hours, you have the ability to spend the day but also fighting thru a mass of humanity. Sensory overload comes into play too.

Edit: for some fantastic overhead views of Rome try these.

https://www.romeloft.com/highlight/panoramic-rome-view/