Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass

We have been to Rome twice and love it. This time we are taking our 18 year old grandson and our daughter, his mom. We will be there 3 full days. Rick Steves' guidebook states that the Roma Pass is only good for two sites and traveling around Rome. I was also considering buying a 72 hour metro pass which is 18 euros each. Any suggestions for us. We don't mind walking. We are staying near Piazza Navona.

Thank you.

Posted by
15825 posts

A discussion about the Roma Pass you might find helpful:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/passes-and-money

Just ignore the part of the discussion about Florence's Firenzecard if not visiting that city. My own 2-cents? It's not worth the money for just 2 entrances, and a couple of popular attractions mandate advance, timed-entry reservations even if using the pass. We've also found that we've needed to use public transport very little in Rome - its a lot more fun to walk, and sometimes an even faster way to get from one place to another - so not enough to make a pass worthwhile. We bought a few BIT tickets and tucked them away for when we might want them.

How much you'll need/want to use transit may depend on the location of your hotel and/or how much walking you're able to comfortably do.

Heads up: take note of the work on metro line A that will interrupt service during certain hours for quite some time.
https://www.atac.roma.it/en/modernisation-of-rome%27s-metro-line-a

Posted by
6093 posts

We don't mind walking. We are staying near Piazza Navona.

You can walk almost everywhere from P Navonna including the Vatican. Skip the metro pass. Buy bus tickets as you go, if needed. Much cheaper.

Posted by
15825 posts

Arg, yes, Piazza Navona... Silly me, I looked right over that little detail!
Good location, that. :O)
(PS: it's the possible 2 feet of snow we're expected to get hit with that's got me a little distracted 2night. Yikes.)

Posted by
27156 posts

Single transit tickets still cost just 1.50 euros, a great bargain if you need to cover a non-walkable distance. I just ended a 10-day stay in Rome at a hotel in Monti, not as convenient a location as yours. I used transit twice, to and from the Vatican. However, there were times I cursed the hills--not necessarily because I had to climb them, but because I kept having to detour around them.