Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass

Is the pass worth it if we are in Rome for 6 nights? We will need a weeklong transportation pass anyways(24€ each). The Roma pass is 33€ each and after we added up the sights we want to see it comes to a savings of 34.50€. Is it worth it for 1.50€ savings since the transportation part of the pass is not needed? And we may not get to all the sights I included in the savings. I tried figuring out the cost of a 4 day transportation pass but it came out to more than 24€.

Posted by
202 posts

Hi! We printed out the Roma Pass Price sheet and highlighted all the places we want to see. We have the two most expensive for free, then the discount for the other sights = 34.50 euros savings, 1.50 savings after the cost of the pass. It's totally worth it if we needed the transportation aspect. But we need transportation for 7 days. It is 1.5 for one ride, 6 euros for a day pass, 16.50 for 3 days and 24 for 7 days. It would cost us 22.50 plus the 33 = 55.50 + ? for 1 week transportation plus the Roma Pass plus the discounted rates for the additional sights outside of the first two per person. Or we could just pay 24 for transportation and pay for the sights we really want to see. As much as I want to spend 13 euros to see the Borghese, my 11 year old son would rather not. Especially after the Vatican museum.

Posted by
4140 posts

Stacey , From the perspective of money , I think you answered your own question , However the other function of passes like the Roma pass is that it allows you to skip ticket BUYING lines , which can be time wasters . The Coliseum in Rome or the Uffizi in Firenze are good examples . One other consideration , the Roma Pass comes with a three day transit pass included . Why not do that and simply buy single tickets for the remainder .

Posted by
1127 posts

If you visit multiple sights covered by the pass it can save you money, as well as time. Visit the RomaPass site and decide which places you realistically plan on visiting. If you stay in the center of Rome many sights will be in walking distance, it's pretty compact.

Posted by
4152 posts

How often do you think you'll use public transportation? I hardly every use any type of public transport when in Rome since the sites are so close to each other. I may use it at the end of the night but usually never during the day. Why don't you price out the romapass and a three day transport pass. I'm sure it will be less. Anyway, the time savings is invaluable. You think you'll only save 1,50 euros but you'll save hours waiting in line. If you decide not to get the pass and book the sites online you'll end up paying the booking fee and not getting the reduced entry prices to the other sites you wish to see. Those are the figures you should add. The actual prices you'll pay if you don't get the pass. This is how you'll see the true savings. Donna

Posted by
202 posts

How close is close? Can you walk from the Colosseum to the Vatican? Or the Colosseum to Burghese? Our apartment is at the Ponte Lungo stop. A 20 minute walk to the Colosseum. I thought the only line you fast track through with the Roma Pass is at the Colosseum. And I read that if you buy your ticket at the Forum first there aren't any lines there. Has anyone not bought the Roma Pass? What did you do?

Posted by
1127 posts

Stacey if you're staying near the metro Ponte Lungo you will need transportation, it's outside the center.

Posted by
4152 posts

It's not always true that there are no lines at the forum. I've waited more than a half hour before to get tickets at the forum entrance. The lines are usually shorter there than at the colosseum but you can still encounter significant lines. I wouldn't assume there will be no lines. As for "how close is close", it depends on what you're seeing and where you're staying. I would never plan a day where I had to be at the colosseum and the Vatican or Borghese. That is just too exhausting of a day. I would plan a day where I visit all the sites around the colosseum, then another day where I visit the Vatican area and a third day where I visit the Borghese gallery. Being close to metro line A actually helps you in this case. If you're going to visit the Vatican area for the day it's a single trip on the metro. Same for the Borghese gallery. You won't be hopping on the metro to get around from there as the sites are very close to each other. I think you'll be amazed at how much you "don't" use public transport. I don't always use the romapass when I go to Rome. If I find that I'm not visiting enough sites covered by the pass to make it worth my while then I simply book sites online and have tickets in hand when I get there. The only thing you can do to determine if the pass will be of benefit is to add up all the regular price admission fees for the sites you wish to see and if they are more than 30 euros you know you'll be saving money with the pass. If they won't be saving you money then don't get the pass. Donna

Posted by
192 posts

I am going through the same mind games regarding the Roma Pass for our 7 day visit. Another thing to consider is do you want to see the 2 higher cost sites in the first 2 days and then the discounted ones for the remaining time left on the 3 days pass. I am thinking of just paying a bit more for the convenience of spreading out my visits over the week and enjoy Rome. Plus I can make reservations on line for the Colosseum underground tour and the Borghese gallery, and not to have to deal with calling or having my hotel make the arrangements. Considering the total cost of our vacation (we will be traveling into Italy after Rome) the couple of bucks we would save does not outweigh our ability to just be in Rome and enjoy the sweet life and spread out the sightseeing. Don