Please sign in to post.

Roma pass, Vatican evening visit

I was told that it might be easier to just buy the Roma pass to visit the major sights like the Borghese Gallery and the Colosseum rather then buying them individually. I think kids 10 and under are free to these museums also, right? Do these museums close on Mondays?
Also has anyone visited the Vatican in the evenings? They seem to be open late through October. Is that a better time to visit the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican museum to avoid the crowd?
Thank you for your advise.

Posted by
388 posts

Many sites are closed on Mondays like the Borghese gallery and the National Museum. However, the Coliseum and Vatican are still open on that day. As for free entrance for children under 10, it just depends on the site. Unlike Paris where most museums are free, in Rome, some may be free and some may not be. You'll have to check the websites for those sites you are planning on visiting. I checked the Borghese gallery and they don't appear to have free entrance for kids, but it is reduced.

Generally its best to visit the Vatican from about 2pm on as the crowds are usually thinned out a LITTLE bit. I wouldn't suggest going to the Vatican on a Monday or a Saturday or a busy holiday. Its best to go afternoon midweek if you can. Try to get reservations in advance as well, especially if its a date you cant miss.

I hope this helps some.

Posted by
4152 posts

All state run museums and sites are free for anyone under 18. Just bring proof of age for anyone who might look old enough.

The romapass really doesn't make things easier. It might save you money if you visit enough sites covered by it. You can book entry tickets to both the colosseum and the Borghese gallery online at the official website. The tickets of the colosseum will allow you to bypass the long ticket lines. The Borghese is closed on Mondays, the colosseum is not.

The Vatican museums at night is a great time to visit. The crowds are usually very low.

Donna

Posted by
11 posts

I went to the Vatican in July on a Friday evening. Not crowded at all. There were maybe twenty other people viewing the Sistine chapel with me. Perfect.

I didn't reserve tickets for the borghese gallery but a spur of the moment decision was made to go there on our trip. I used Rick Steve's tip of showing up at the top of the hour and asking were there any unclaimed tickets. There were two! I showed up when the museum opened.

Posted by
11294 posts

Just to clarify, if you have a Roma Pass you still need to make a reservation for the Borghese Gallery. Yes, you can get lucky like psawyer8713 did, but that's taking a chance. The Borghese strictly limits the numbers of visitors per two hour slot; if they're sold out, you don't get in.

If you're using the Roma Pass for the Borghese, you have to telephone them; you can't make that reservation on their website. If you're not using the Roma Pass, you can book a ticket with reservation on their website.

Posted by
38 posts

Thank you for all of the helpful replies! I have one more question. This tour guide who manages tours in Rome says recently the Vatican has had a lot of activities and there has been a few unexpected closing of the Sistine chapel, the Basilica and such. Is that true? Should I hire a tour guide to who can help us in the event of things like that?

Posted by
32523 posts

How would a tour guide help you if what you want to see is closed?

If it is closed, it is closed.

As far as I know all the closings were previously announced and could be planned for.