Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass

I'm a little confused, in RS book, he says the Roma Pass is valid for three days and covers public transportation with free/discounted entry.....With that said, how do we know how to to get the discounted prices on entry?

Posted by
23177 posts

Simple. Walk up to the ticket window, show the pass, pay the discounted price.

Posted by
36 posts

Okay thank you-I just wanted to be sure, I was reading all the sight seeing in Rome in the RS book and he never mentions the discounted pricing....Thank you!

Posted by
32519 posts

It is a little more complicated.

You must do the arithmetic. Will you save money with the somewhat new much higher price for the pass? If so, the pass is valid for exactly 3 calendar days. The pass starts at the moment that it is first used for any transportation or at the first attraction, whichever comes first. It is valid for the remainder of that day, all the next day and on the third day until midnight.

If you have an old book it may refer to using the transit part at a different time as the entry part. That is no longer the case. The two parts of the pass run together, both start and finish together.

When you use the pass for attraction entry the first two places you visit will be "free" and the rest of them for the rest of the 3 days will be at the discounted (slightly discounted in some cases) price and not free. The only way you can choose which properties you will have "free" admission to is to make them of the first two. You cannot go to a discounted one and then a "free" one.

Posted by
13 posts

With RomePass you get free public transportation for 3 days + 2 free entry on museums + discounted rates (10,20,30% off) for all other museums, events, shows..

Alina

Posted by
7277 posts

Our Roma Passes (at least 14 months ago) came in a clear plastic sleeve, with a map, a ticket that could be put thru the Metro turnstile machines to get into the Metro, and a booklet that listed all the participating museums and facilities where the Pass could be used. There were lots of lesser-known places and we didn't make it to any of those on our 1 week visit in Rome, but some of them looked intriguing and you might find perusing them worthwhile. In December 2012, it was worth having the Pass for the discounts & convenience.

Posted by
77 posts

Now I'm even more confused. We're in Rome for 3 days, and are looking at doing our own tour using RS audio for the Colliseum, but paying for tour through Sistene Chapel. So is the Roma pass good for discount to the Colliseum, P. Hall and others? TIme is precious and I am looking at the best way to get in without long lines. Thanks!

Posted by
32519 posts

I don't have a clue of what you mean by "P.Hall". In all the years I've been going to Rome, that's a new one on me.

If you want to know what places are on the offer you can look at the official website which list all the terms: http://www.romapass.it/?l=en

Posted by
4152 posts

I agree, I have no idea what you mean by P hall.

The romapass will not be valid for anything at the Vatican. It won't get you in the museums for free and it won't get you any discounts. The Vatican is not a part of Rome but it's own country.

If you use the pass to visit the colosseum and it's one of the first two sites you visit them the entry cost is free. If it's the third or later site then you get in for the discounted price. You can find a list of all sites that will honor the pass as well as the regular and discounted prices. The pass does not include any tours, those you will need to book and pay for separately.

When you enter a site using the free option you will just scan the card at the entry. The turnstile will then activate and you can enter. After the first two sites you must go to the ticket counter to purchase the discounted ticket. Show them the pass and they will do the rest.

Donna

Posted by
4152 posts

I guess it could be Palatine hill. If that's the case then

The colosseum, forum and palatine hill are a combo site and count as a single entry on the romapass. If you visit one of these sites as the first or second site using the pass they will be free and you'll bypass the lines into them. If you visit them after the two free admissions then you'll get the discounted rate. You'll need to go to the ticket window to pay the rate but I believe you get to use the special events desk and not wait in line. Most people use the colosseum combo as one of their two free sites because it's one of the most expensive tickets in Rome.

Donna

Posted by
21 posts

Read all the info on the Roma Pass website, it will make the system more clear. Use the first two entries for some of the more expensive places- such as Borghese and Colosseum. Or maybe the Domus Valentini.

Please note you should make reservations for Borghese and the Domus before leaving home!

Posted by
107 posts

Do the math first. Figure out the cost of all the attractions you'd like to see and include the possible transportation costs. For our family of 5, it was better value to hire a private guide for 3 days for the things we wanted to see. We found that we could walk to most sites and the taxis were very reasonable. We did not get the Roma Pass but it is a good idea if the value for you is there.

Posted by
4 posts

We got the OMNI card, which includes the ROMA pass. We will be in Rome just after Easter during the canonization of Pope John Paul II. That being said, the line jumping aspect of the card is worth the $$. Plus, we lucked out and bought the pass at a discount! Yeah me! Lol

Posted by
4152 posts

Sorry, but even at a discount the omnia pass is not worth the money. You can purchase skip the line entry tickets to the museums for 20 euros. The romapass costs 34 euros. That's a total of 55 euros. The omnia pass also makes you squeeze everything into 3 days, which doesn't give you enough time. I would stick with just the romapass and book the Vatican museums yourself.

Donna