Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass

Are any of you familiar with, or have you ever used, the 3 day Roma Pass? It costs 20 EUR and allows you to get into the 1st 2 museums free, and several other museums at a discount. There is a very long list of included museums, most of which I've never heard of. It also includes either free or discounted rides on city transportation for the same consecutive 3 days, including the Archeobus tour. It seems like a pretty good deal, but one never knows.

I'm also thinking that there may be other discounts that I'm not aware of that might be a better deal. So, good people, I need your help on this one. I worry about the "consecutive" days.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Bonnie

Posted by
1883 posts

Bonnie, do a search in the box on the upper right hand side of the Graffiti wall for "Roma Pass" You will find others comments about this product.

Posted by
55 posts

I too am thinking about using the Roma Pass. There is also another pass that gets you in to museums, I heard about it in the Rick Steve's book but I don't have the book with me to tell you what page it is on. I am sure it is on the same page as the Roma Pass. But anyway...yes you get free bus and metro rides with the Roma pass for the 3 consecutive days. After the 2 free places you get about a %20 discount on the other places in the 3 days. You kinda have to do the math on it. What would it cost to buy everything al la carte and buy a 3 day bus/metro pass, which I think is 11E. Then you have to factor in will your schedule allow you to do all those Roma pass things in 3 consecutive days. If you can't do the sightseeing of those places in 3 consecutive days or if you want to do the cheapest things then maybe it isn't worth it. But think of this if a 3 day bus pass is 11E and Palatine Hill is 11E you are ahead 2 Euro. That is worth it. I hope my rambling might have helped.

Posted by
17 posts

Yes, you both helped me decide. I have RS 2005 Italy book, but don't remember seeing any info on passes in there. I'll take a look. There's no way we could see all the museums, etc. that are listed on the Roma Pass, nor would we want to. I've already done the math and know that we will come out ahead. I spent today checking ticket prices for the sites we definitely want to see. The transportation portion of the Roma Pass is only for 1 day on the Archeobus and the 110 Open bus, and I assume all other buses and the Metro are for 3 days. It looks like the Colosseum/Palatine combo is one of the more costly items, so should start there. Is this considered 1 event or 2 events?

Could you fill me in on the 3 day bus pass? I haven't come across that one yet.

Thanks.

Bonnie

Posted by
206 posts

With the Roma Pass, as mentioned, you get your first two "museums" for no additional cost. Palatine Hill/Colosseum and Borghese Museum are two that you would likely want to visit, and are two of the most expensive. Essentially those two pay for the pass, I believe. You do get a small discount on all other covered museums, and you get three consecutive days of transportation on city buses and the metro. The pass is really two things-a credit card like card that is for museum entrances, and a second paper ticket that you can use for entrance to the metro and on the buses. The three days means three consecutive calendar days. We used the pass last summer and found it quite convenient and cost effective, and we were able to buy it at our hotel when we checked in.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks, Kathy. I like to hear from people who have actually used the product.

I just did a search on the Graffiti Wall as suggested by Ellen, and someone had posted that they purchased their Roma Pass at the TI near Termini Station. Now I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to purchase our 2 passes there instead of through ticketclik.it. Ticketclik charges 20 EUR for the Roma Pass. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost through TI?

I would email the person whose comment I found on the Wall, but it was dated January, 2006 and I'm sure rates have changed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bonnie

Posted by
206 posts

We paid 20 EUR per pass last July, and it looks like that is still the price. The web site for info about the pass is:

http://www.romapass.it/english/lecard.html

Sometimes buying ahead/online the price of the pass is the same but you have to pay shipping or a convenience fee to purchase online. I don't know if that is the case with the site you mentioned.

Posted by
1317 posts

I will be buying one in November and I intend to get it at the TI by Termini simply so I don't have to deal with remembering to pack it to Italy.

Posted by
2335 posts

Double check, but if you use for Borghese Gallery, you need to make reservations ahead of time - you reserve a time slot online, pay when you arrive (or use the pass to pay). It's very much worth it, just make sure you plan a little ahead.