Please sign in to post.

Roma Pass

Does the Roma Pass include transportation via trains? I was thinking of buying a Roma Pass at the airport and it says -via online that it includes public transportation-what is considered public transportation in Rome? Will the Roma Pass do it for my trip or should I expect to pay additional for the express train? Also if I have to switch trains to get to my destination (i.e. apartment/hotel from the airport) do I have to pay an additional fee?

Posted by
2207 posts

The Roma Pass does not cover transportation to either airport. Both are outside the 2-zone area of "public" transportation covered by the pass. Public transportation in Rome would include the buses, metro lines, trams, and 2nd Class Regionale trains inside the 2-zone ring. The Leonardo Express is also not covered by the Roma Pass - so that would be extra. Not sure where your hotel is... we'd need more info to discuss the best "train" or method of transport to get you there... There's no real advantage to buying the Pass online. You DO NOT get the pass in advance, only a code you exchange at designated pick-up sites in the Rome area.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks for the feedback, as far as the Roma Pass, would you recommend getting one? We will be in Rome for 4days. We are staying near the Vatican.

Posted by
2207 posts

Sarah, with the increased prices in public transportation, the Roma Pass is more viable than it was, say before May 25 - when the price increases kicked in. Staying near the Vatican you may need public transportation to get to the centro area. If you plan to visit two major (applicable) sites and frequently use the public transport, then you can break even. If you are not planning to use the transport systems, it will not be as viable.

Posted by
24 posts

Two popular sites - example: Borghese Gallery + Colosseum/Forum + 2 transportation per day breaks even.
It is valid only for three days. If you start using it on 8am on day one, the pass expires at midnight on the end of day 3. Vatican museum/Sistine chapel is not included in the Roma pass. You are there for 4 days so decide how you might make maximum use of the pass if you do end up buying it. We ended up using the transportation a few times on days 2 and 3 almost to midnight. Bus to near Pantheon, bus to Colosseum, bus and metro to Spanish steps, just rode on the bus to anywhere. Tired and hot, we decided to take the metro to Termini and take the bus to drop us right in front of our hotel.

Posted by
47 posts

Also consider that if you use the Roma Pass for somewhere popular, such as the Colosseum, you can skip (most) of the long line to get in. We just skirted in the group entrance and showed our pass, which saved what seemed like would have been a bunch of time. I'm not sure we actually saved money with the pass, it was close to a wash, but factoring in the time saved on the Colosseum made it a good deal for us.