Please sign in to post.
Posted by
996 posts

I was in Rome last November. It was the same if not better than my 2013 visit to the city.

Posted by
375 posts

I was in Rome in 2017 and 2018. From my limited exposure it seems the claims in the article are quite exaggerated. In February we walked in Borghese Park every day for five days as we had a dog with us. It was enjoyable. In 2017 the crowds at the Trevi Fountain made it tough for us to get close enough so my visually impaired husband could see some of it and for me to stand next to him to describe what was out of sight for him, but it was a busy time and to be expected. All the other sights we visited were enjoyable. We plan to return to Rome a third time

Posted by
4105 posts

Larry, I've spent 13 days in Rome in the last. Three years. 2016, (5nites), 2017 (3 nites) and this past September (5nites). I saw absolutely NONE of this, the whole report IMO is just sensationalism. I also do not necessarily stay on the tourist track all the time either.

Posted by
5274 posts

I was in Rome in February. I didn't see any wild boar, didn't visit the Borghese Gardens but there was no rubbish piled up anywhere that we went (and we walked quite extensively). The buses were chucking out a significant amount of exhaust, more than any buses I've seen elsewhere but never saw one combust.

I have, however, seen videos of wild boar in the streets and also of buses combusting so it's not to say that it's false sensationalism.

Posted by
3112 posts

I was in Rome 2 weeks ago and saw nothing like you describe.

Posted by
954 posts

I was in Rome in mid-June, while there are potholes, didn't see any of the issues outlined in the article.

Posted by
211 posts

Rome's condition is a constant topic among Romans and Italians in general. The articles may make things sound vivid, but I've seen videos on YouTube of boars walking down the street, or hanging out in parks. The park ones actually have been conditioned to beg for food, and the neighborhood old women indulge them.

But yeah, there's a problem. You might not see it as a tourist, but for everyday life, Rome can be a pain. The metro doesn't go everywhere and breaks down every so often (but it's not as bad as NYC's in that regard). Trash heaps keep growing. The last time I was there I had a gelato in a cup and it took blocks of walking before I even saw a trash can.

What I'm saying is, don't romanticize the country. While it's a terrific place to visit, and live if you're in the right place geographically and financially, there are problems. Believe me, Italians don't go out and protest just for fun. They do it for a reason. At the same time, go enjoy. Chances are you won't be stampeded by hungry boars or find yourself on an exploding bus.

Posted by
67 posts

I was in Rome just one week ago. Stayed on three days after our RS tour ended. We were in all the tourist areas and it was lovely. Clean, no trash, Great restaurants. It was our first visit to Italy and we can’t wait to go again. We walked in Borghese Gardens for hours and saw gardeners triming and whistling as they worked. Lots of locals out with their charming dogs. There was some sort of protest in the Republica Plaza but we asked and nobody seemed to know the issue. They had a loud band and carried banners but did not disturb the traffic. Also there was a terrible accident in the Metro station, escalator fell apart and many people hurt. At least 15 emergency vehicles came rushing, loud sirens as we watched. It appeared to us well organized and we hope the injured will recover well. Peace and love out to them.
We highly recommend the National Rome Museum The ancient collection is stunning. My favorite piece in all of Italy is the bronze boxer. We had the entire museum to ourselves.
Every big city has its problems and even dangers. Be cautious but do not let it keep you from traveling.

Posted by
7049 posts

The problem is major governance and mismanagement issues that have been going on for years in Rome. To say they don't exist would be dishonest. But a tourist staying for 3 days is not going to feel the brunt of the problem; they may blissfully see no signs of decay at all. But locals do. I was shocked myself to see news coverage of burnt out buses from other sources earlier this year (BBC, etc). To have such lax inspections and/or using old rolling stock that is so unsafe as to fully burn up is downright criminal and incompetent. It's a typical underinvestment story. The trash issue has been covered mightily in the press as well. Hopefully things have gotten better by now.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-bus/two-buses-catch-fire-in-black-day-for-rome-transport-system-idUSKBN1I9134
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/04/635583133/romes-city-services-falling-behind
https://www.thelocal.it/20170510/romes-rubbish-crisis-is-reaching-emergency-levels-five-star-virginia-raggi-grillo-matteo-renzi-trash-garbage

Posted by
173 posts

I was in Rome a few weeks ago and, at least in the old city center, everything was fine but very crowded. The Villa Borghese was virtually empty after our tour of the Galleria Borghese around 7pm and the grounds were well kept.

Posted by
8462 posts

A great opportunity to experience real life like a local.

Posted by
3 posts

I have to say thanks for great responses. This is the first time I’ve posted to the RS Forum. We are planning our 3rd trip to Rome - but this was the first time I’d seen such negative news about Rome. Nonetheless we are looking forward to:

• Forum/Palatine Hill/Capitoline museums
  • Palazzo Massimo villa Livia frescoes
  • Borghese Gallery
  • Barberini museum
  • Pantheon
  • Boromini and Bernini architecture
  • hopefully Ostia Antica

I will try to avoid the boars :-)

Posted by
15199 posts

I hope some pickpockets got burned in the bus explosions too.
It’s been downhill for the Eternal City since the Emperor Augustus.
Don’t tell people in Tuscany that boars are roaming the streets of Rome. They’ll come down with hunting rifles by the thousands.

Posted by
1188 posts

Thanks, Roberto, now I'm craving some prosciutto cinghiale!

Posted by
11338 posts

apaonita is absolutely correct. For those living in Rome, the challenges are enormous. Neighborhoods outside of the tourist areas do not get the attention they need. The further from the center you live, the worse it becomes. Potholes are horrible and not only for cars. There are often big depressions in sidewalks that people trip in. But again, outside of the main trourist areas.

As someone who rode the buses nearly daily (living 2 or 3 miles from the center) the exploding bus situation is terrifying.

Posted by
423 posts

I was in Rome in May- and I saw alot of trash in the streets- especially around the Vatican and Colosseum areas- I actually watched many tourists just throw their trash, water bottles, ect on the ground at the Colosseum- yes there were not many trashcans around but to see people litter such a historic area made me sad- the lack of respect- I felt Rome was lacking in the waste management dept. but it was still beautiful to me- Im going back in a few months so we shall see if its still that way .
Happy Travels✨💫

Posted by
15826 posts

Laurel, you would probably have some knowledge regarding a reported lack of trash receptacles, or at least a lack of them in certain places? I know that some cities have eliminated those which would be in close proximity to especially valuable historic structures and/or places large crowds congregate. The reason is a sad reflection of our time: potential of dropped/concealed explosive devices. Might be the same in Italy?

Like hiking the U.S. parks, we've carried our trash around until there's a proper place to discard it.

Posted by
11338 posts

In response to Kathy, in the historical center there are not the visible gigantic trash containers that line neighborhood streets like these https://www.dreamstime.com/editorial-photography-garbage-containers-streets-rome-italy-august-row-street-via-venti-settembre-image60283427. I had a friend who lived near Piazza Navona and she had to follow prescribed dates and times to dump her trash and recycling outside of tourist hours.

As a result, only the small ones like these or these exist in tourist areas and they are not sufficient. Funny how when people see a mess they choose to contribute instead of refraining.