Please sign in to post.

Rimini

Hi, We're going to be in Rimini for a day and a night. Can someone help us with a must see, must eat, and best place to stay list please. Also, this is a stop over between Bologna and San Moreno. Convenient for trains. It's only for one day/night, but if there's a better nearby town to see/stay, please let me know. We're flexible where we go, as long as it's on the way from Bologna and on the way to San Moreno. THANKS!!

Posted by
15186 posts

I presume that by San Moreno you actually mean the Republic of San Marino. If that is the case, and you have no car, you should stay in Rimini, because of transportation logistics. There are buses going up and down from Rimini all day (probably 45-50 min travel time each way). Riccione is the top destination (more upscale) in the area. Lots of fancy boutiques and stores and window shopping along the famous Viale Dante and Viale Ceccarini (the Romagna's equivalent of the Magnificent Mile). Rimini is less expensive and more crowded with the young crowd. However the entire Romagna coast is a summer beach destination on steroids. All those towns from Cattolica to Cervia are Miami South Beach to the power of 10. If you like 24 hr day entertainment, parties, discos, cafes, restaurants, people watching, strolling that is the place. If you plan to go to that area and sleep, don't go there between July and August.

Posted by
25 posts

Thank You! We're going by train, and I hope the parties are over by mid-September!

Posted by
791 posts

Basillica San Vitale and the Galla Placidia mausoleum next to it are must see's. It would probably be overkill for one day but Sant Appollinare in Classe is just a short way out of town and worth seeing also. There's a good restaurant not too far from Dante's tomb that we had a great steak in but can't remember the name offhand.

Posted by
922 posts

Basillica San Vitale and the Galla Placidia mausoleum next to it are must see's. So true! The Byzantine mosaics and the light through the alabaster windows are exquisite. Consider trying the 'tortellini in brodo' while in Ravenna. Delicious!

Posted by
25 posts

I will make sure to do all of it, if we can. Thanks for the heads up on the food, too. Just like in the U.S, different States have different food specialties, (Louisiana-crawfish, Chicago-pizza, Maine-lobster, etc.) I'm sure different parts of Italy has different food specialties. Any suggestions?

Posted by
1508 posts

Near Rimini is Ravenna where we stayed. It's famous for its mosaics which date from the 500s. Ravenna has 8 Unesco World Heritage sites. You could spend a day to see them or less time if you're fast or select a few to see. If you're interested you can read about them and see pictures at http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/788/. We stayed at Casa Masoli which was recommended in the RS book. Casa Masoli is in a 17th century building; the rooms are beautiful and they serve a great breakfast. When we were there in 2011, the cost was the same as a standard hotel which was also recommended in the RS book.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, we're going to stay in Ravenna. RS says Rimini is overrated and overcrowded. I'm definitely not looking for Florida at Spring Break :) I'll definitely check out staying where you stayed. Thanks for the hotel, and if you know a can't miss mosaic, that'd be great to know.

Posted by
11613 posts

Another hotel that I like is the Byron Centrale (or maybe Centrale Byron), centrally located. There is also Hotel Bisanzio. Both have great service and knowledgeable, helpful staff.

Posted by
922 posts

Omigosh, Tabatha - that's a very general question about a country with great diversity in its cuisine and many regional specialties - like any country that takes food and dining seriously within its social context. A good place to start would be to Google 'Italian cuisine by region' or 'Italian food specialties by region'. You could spend the next several weeks (at least) reading the results and salivating. :) For my part, if you're in Italy at the right time of year - because some things are truly seasonal - if a dish includes artichokes order it.

Posted by
15186 posts

Romagna, like Emilia is famous for fresh homemade pasta. First courses from Romagna: Cappelletti Passatelli Tagliatelle Tardura Manfrigoli Gnocchi Garganelli Lasagne Strozzapreti (Priest Stranglers) Minestra Matta (Crazy Soup) Second (Main) courses): Castrato Ciccioli di Maiale Cotechino Salsiccia Matta (Crazy Sausage) Salumi (Various Cold Cuts) Galletto Fagioli in Giubbalunga (Long coat beans) Bread:
Piadina (a crispy tortilla type flat bread) In Rimini you should eat the Piada dei morti (Piada of the dead people) a local tart with dried fruit (It's eaten during the day of the dead in Nov)

Posted by
922 posts

Hahaha! Strozzapreti (Priest Stranglers) - thanks, Roberto. I needed a good laugh!

Posted by
791 posts

Try polenta too. I'm not crazy about it plain but with some porchini shrooms and cheese it's good.

Posted by
1501 posts

I have family in Riccioni - have gone twice for weddings. In September and October. The crowds should have died down by September. Seriously, I LOVE it. The Piadina is awesome (saw some packaged in a regular grocery store last time I was in Rome). The flavor is so good. Don't see eating it with something sweet, though. I think you'll have a great time there in September! Lots to do, shopping, eating, the beaches are nice, the sand is fine (unlike most European beaches) Give it a chance!

Posted by
791 posts

Most places will be happy to spread some Nutella on piadina for you if you want (sometimes even if you don't). I never cared for it myself but I know others like it.