Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves Rome 2008 Book

My wife and I are planning on going to Rome for 4 full days. We purchased Rick Steves’ Rome 2008 book and want to follow his Rome in two to three days tour. In his book Paris 2008, he shows maps and includes a step by step guide of his suggested tours. I am looking for the same information for his Rome book

For example, what exactly is the "Caesar Shuffle?" How long will each tourist destination take to view on average? Is there a map detailing the Rome in two to three days tour?

I am creating our literary for the trip and this book does not have as much information as the Paris book does.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Michael

Posted by
152 posts

Hi Mike. The Rome book is laid out a little different, mostly because Rome is not Paris. If you dig into it I think you'll find it will give you the info you need. The question about time per tourist destination is answered quite clearly in the Rome book (you have to read the tour info for the Forum etc). Rick does sell a combo Italy map with highlghts for major cities in Italy. We found it useful but the map you get from the T1 or your hotel will also work fine. The Ceasar shuffle is described as well. We spent the morning visiting the Forum and Colleseum, had lunch that visited the Pantheon. Basically figure on the better part of a day for the Ancient sites, another day for the Vatican and St. Peters, and then just fill in other activities that interest you (for example we visited St. Peter's in Chains after the Ceasar Shuffle). I also highly recommend the Capatoline Museuem, especially the views found by following the tour in the guide book. Have fun. Rome is a remarkable city...

Posted by
115 posts

Hi Mike

For the tours and such in Italy, you can download Rick's audio tours and maps. Theyre really good.

If you click on the link above "Rick on Radio" I think they are in there, but I found mine through iTunes.

I hope he does one for Pompeii though, that would be great!!

Posted by
91 posts

I found out how long each tour was, it was on the next page. The Caesar Shuffle is just the Colosseum and the Forum. I thought it was more, my mistake. Thanks for the advice, it helped out a lot. Though I could not find any place on Rick's site to download maps.

Posted by
34 posts

You can download maps in the podcast section of this site. We just returned from Italy and we used Rick's books and podcasts as our bible.

We were fortunate enough to meet Rick Steves in Capri. He was researching his '09 Italy book. He was kind enough to chat with us for a few minutes and allowed me to take a picture of him with my wife.

Posted by
91 posts

I found the maps in the podcast section. Thanks! Do you know if they have the color map of Rome from the Rome 2008 book available for download?