Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves Guidebook Italy 2018 vs 2015

We are going to Italy this coming May. My friend gave me an old version of Rick's "Italy 2015". I saw the latest version is "Italy 2018". I just wonder how much has changed between these two versions. Should I get the new 2018 version?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3177 posts

Guide books change - especially after 3 years. The quality of hotels and restaurants changes, they open and close. Entrance fees, hours and policies change. And the cost of an updated book is minimal when considering the total cost of your trip. Using the old book is a false economy. Also, if you would be taking a tablet or smart phone on your trip, I would buy the digital version. It won't add any weight to what you'll tote around.

Posted by
4637 posts

Always new book. You have to be able to rely on it.

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you so much for your inputs. I was leaning towards buying a new book. I like the paper book better than e-book. I can put sticker on various places for easy reference.

Posted by
9679 posts

I too find the paper books easier to reference. You'll hear from a lot of people who prefer the e-book. Whichever works best for you!

Posted by
7688 posts

I purchased a Rick Steves Great Britain guidebook in 2013 for our cruise and trip to the British Isles. I used it last year for our 28 day drive tour of Wales and England. It was still viable and helpful.

If you use an older guidebook, I do suggest that you supplement your research by using the internet to check for hotels, restaurants, prices and more. Also, using this website is helpful.

Posted by
1042 posts

Myself, I use the old book that I already have, and use Rick's "Guidebook Updates" to see if any apply to where I'm going.

Posted by
8504 posts

The information on prices and hotel/restaurant recommendations and prices might be a bit outdated, but the info on sights and general orientation are usually pretty unchanging. If you're relying on it for the hotel/restaurant information, then I'd get a new one. But I think you have to realize even the "2018" edition was most likely written several months ago, with research even older than that.

Posted by
672 posts

To paraphrase RS, why skimp on a $20 guide book (or an updated one) when you are spending thousands of dollars on your trip? It could make the difference in terms of transportation info, restaurant and hotel listings, contact info for people and places, operating hours of museums and other sites, etc. Admittedly, maps and recommended main sites are probably not going to change much in 3 years, but a lot of other things could. I would recommend always traveling with the most current guidebook (and a cell phone with data service when you are away from wifi).

Posted by
125 posts

I'm going to Italy and I have the 2018 paperbook. I was leaning to not carry it but I know how valuable it could be, and I've done a lot of my research using it. But I just looked at the eBook version and it's rather nice. Maps and other things are in color and links are clickable. And it doesn't weigh anything, all 1272 pages worth. I'm going eBook.

Posted by
250 posts

I vote old book. Shoot, I’m planning my next trip using 2013 editions! It all depends what you are using it for, I never look at the hotels or restaurants, but use the books for which sights to see (I use the sight’s website to finalize details anyway) and transportation info.

Posted by
362 posts

Buying the new book is a very cheap investment, well worth it to get the latest info on museum hours and fees, directions, restaurants and hotels (many are added or deleted with each update). To avoid hauling a book around, we always rip up our guidebooks, only taking the pages we need and date the pages according to our pre-planned itinerary. That way we're never wasting time trying to figure out where we're supposed to go next.