Please sign in to post.

rick steve books

I'll be traveling to Rome main stay,I already bought the RS Rome books,is it recommended to get Europe thru the back door and or RS Italy book?

Posted by
23245 posts

If only visiting Rome, then the Rome book is more than adequate. The back door is more of a general guide to traveling lights with a lot of good traveling technique. The back door is a good read.

Posted by
32198 posts

juan, If this is your first trip to Europe, it would be a good idea to read Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip, as it provides a LOT of good information on "how" to travel well in Europe. It covers things like money, Itinerary planning, transportation and some of the small differences you'll find there, such as the way they write dates (D-M-Y). If you'd rather not buy a copy, you should be able to find one at your local Library. If you're only going to be visiting Rome, then the Rome Guidebook will be good. However, if you'll also be visiting other parts of Italy then you'll need the Italy book (which also covers Rome). I normally pack along my copy, as it's useful for reference during trips. Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

Juan, I've yet to be convinced that it makes sense to buy the ETBD book if you already have the Italy book. You're saying you have the RS Rome "books" (plural). Did you really buy more than one RS book about Rome?

Posted by
23245 posts

Doubt if he has bought more than one Rome book since there is only one Rome book. The Italy book covers Rome but not to the same detail as the Rome book. Even after four trips to Rome we always buy the most recent book. Will be there again this Fall and have the 13 book.

Posted by
86 posts

What about the Italy book is it worth getting?.

Posted by
32198 posts

juan, Just to clarify, Europe Through The Back Door is the book to read prior to a first trip to Europe, but you likely won't need it after that (except for reference). Regarding the Italy book, it would help to know if you'll be visiting other places in Italy or just Rome? If you'll be travelling in other parts of Italy, then the Italy Guidebook will definitely be useful. Note that many of the Guidebooks can now be obtained as E-books also, in a variety of formats (ie: Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Kobo, etc.). If buying E-books, it's important to check which edition you're buying. They're often about three months behind the print versions, so you could be getting last year's edition. Cheers!

Posted by
870 posts

If you will only be in Rome, then the RS Rome book would be sufficient. If you read the first sections of the RS Rome book, then I don't think (my opinion) that you will need the Europe Through the Back Door book. If you want to take a look at it though, go to your local public library and check it out. That way you can see if it is worth buying.

Posted by
7737 posts

Frank, there are indeed two Rome RS books. The Rome Guidebook and the Pocket Rome book. But Juan PM'ed me to say that it was a typo and he did buy only the Rome Guidebook. Juan, if Rome is the only place in Italy that you're going and you already have the Rome Guidebook, you don't need to also buy the Italy Guidebook.