Please sign in to post.

Review my 2016 Itinerary

Week 1: Not set in stone….Fly Friday June 17th 2016 Seattle to Genoa. I checked this year’s flights and will layover at Paris, CDG arrive Saturday June 18th Genoa 1:00 PM and train to Camogli. We plan to use Camogli as our base to visit coastal towns and villages nearby by hiking and short train trips (San Fruttuoso, Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure- any others we should see? ). For week 2 we have an agriturismo already reserved near Mercatale/Cortona from Saturday, June 25- July2nd. I want to pick up the rental car in La Spezia on Saturday June 25th but I know they are only open in the morning. Question 1- should I stay 1 or two nights farther south like the Cinque Terre, Porto Venere or some other town to ensure I make it to the rental car place before they close early (I don’t have any lodging arranged for week 1 yet).
Week 2- This I have already reserved. We plan to take day trips from our agriturismo. We check out on Saturday July 2nd.
Question #2 where is the best place to drop off the car and fly home? I was thinking dropping the car off in Arezzo, taking a train to Florence, spending a day or two there and flying home to Seattle from Florence on or around July 6th. We have already done Rome and Venice.
Thanks for the input. We are seasoned travelers in our early 50's celebrating 25 years of marriage and are looking to hike, enjoy the scenery, wine all while trying to avoid crowds (sorry locked into summer travel).

Posted by
649 posts

Hi Sharon
As to the rental car La Spezia - find out where they are located from the train station. We were in a time crunch for pick up as
well and the Hertz rental office was in the middle of town and I had googled the map to it but with luggage and all, we just made it- walking as I did not think it that far, but it was. So make sure you hop a train that leaves you plenty of time. As to drop off check with your car rental when booking where they have drop offs - if you are anticipating Florence make sure you drop it at the airport and take a bus into Florence to stay your 2 days. DO NOT attempt to drive into Florence as there are ZLT's everywhere. These are zones you are not aware off readily and are not allowed to drive in, and the car rental company will receive a large ticket amount which will be charged to you.
When flying home from Florence which is a small airport you will be changing in Paris, London etc. so account for timing on this.
Hope this helps.
Want to so much go again - Love Italy
Enjoy

Posted by
7175 posts

Week 1: Not set in stone….Fly Friday June 17th 2016 Seattle to Genoa. I checked this year’s flights and will layover at Paris, CDG arrive Saturday June 18th Genoa 1:00 PM and train to Camogli. We plan to use Camogli as our base to visit coastal towns and villages nearby by hiking and short train trips (San Fruttuoso, Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure- any others we should see? ).
Question 1- should I stay 1 or two nights farther south like the Cinque Terre, Porto Venere or some other town to ensure I make it to the rental car place before they close early (I don’t have any lodging arranged for week 1 yet).

I would stay in La Spezia the night of June 24 to pick up your rental first thing on June 25.

Week 2- We have an agriturismo already reserved near Mercatale/Cortona from Saturday, June 25- July2nd. I want to pick up the rental car in La Spezia on Saturday June 25th but I know they are only open in the morning. This I have already reserved. We plan to take day trips from our agriturismo. We check out on Saturday July 2nd.
Question #2 where is the best place to drop off the car and fly home? I was thinking dropping the car off in Arezzo, taking a train to Florence, spending a day or two there and flying home to Seattle from Florence on or around July 6th. We have already done Rome and Venice.

Drop your car in Arezzo first thing on July 2, giving you full 7 day rental period.
Train to Florence for 3 or 4 nights. If you have flown in thru Paris I imagine you fly home thru Paris? If so flights from Florence to Paris should be fine. Otherwise, for intercontinental flights you will have to choose Milan or Rome.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you both. I hope to save time by flying into Genoa and home from Florence. I assume this is possible. Staying the night in La Spezia sounds like it will make getting the car a bit less stressful. I have not checked into agencies yet but most posts suggest a company located in La Spezia. I will try for one with a drop off near Arezzo. I've got a while yet to keep reading RS posts. Thanks again.