Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Trastevere

We will be in Rome, staying Hotel San Francisco- Via Jacopa de'Settesoli 7, in Trastevere. Suggestions for trattorias , etc. in that neighborhood? Also, any suggestions for casual dining in Sorrento. Thanks

Posted by
1046 posts

in Trastevere I highly recommend Carlo Menta. The food is good, honest and exceptionally affordable. My favorites in Sorrento, over the past several years, are Hotel il Nido (above the town, bus or taxi); anything on Marina Grande; and Gigino in the old section of town. Inn Bufalito is VERY interesting too.

Posted by
1226 posts

Right across the bridge Ponte Sisto from Trastevere is Pianostrada. Amazingly fresh, local, yummy food!

Also see the EatItaly app and Katie Parla's app and blog

Posted by
1046 posts

So, to be honest - you got me thinking (dreaming? drooling?) about food in Italy. Try these places in Rome: Osteria Ponte Sisto (immediately to the right as you cross the bridge towards Trastevere); il Ciak for steaks; Del Pallaro if you can't decide and want someone to just feed you (kinda fun place but RS is right the food is forgetable); and Da Claudia which sits right in front of the Pantheon (expensive but such a wonderful ambiance).

Posted by
51 posts

In Trastevere, we ate at Marco G's twice. Loved it! If you like craft beer, stop by Bir and Fud.

Posted by
118 posts

How long are you staying? If more than a couple of days, I would recommend trying a Trastevere food tour. We took the twilight tour, and it introduced us to a number of very good restaurants as well as several other very tasty places that sold street food, gelato, etc. Well worth the money for the food you get and the tour! Very highly recommended!

https://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/rome/

If you end up doing the tour, do it first thing so you know where to go for the rest of your stay!

Posted by
227 posts

We are taking the eatinginitaly Trastevere Tour in April - these people are great! We had to cancel our tour (and trip) 3 years ago due to illness - they emailed us that we could re-book. I contacted them to see if, by any chance the offer was still good and they said “Of Course!” How nice was that!!!

Posted by
40 posts

I second the Eating Italy food tour - and I'm pretty sure there's a discount code (Rick? Steves?) or something like that! It was a GREAT experience.

Posted by
1034 posts

I had pizza at this little place in Trastevere. It was a great very casual joint with big shared wooden tables inside and out. Really enjoyed it. Da Vittorio a Trastevere. Heart shaped pistachio pesto and fresh salmon, yum. Don’t know if I could find it again without help, but I’m very directionally challenged. The address is Via di San Cosimata 14 in the heart of the district.

Posted by
2047 posts

Dar Poeta for great pizza. Roma Spirito for authentic cheese and pepper pasta.

Posted by
123 posts

I had a fab meal at Mama Eat! in Trastevere (best Roman-style artichokes!), then walked down the street for gelato from Fatamorgana (love, love, love Fatamorgana gelato!!). Also, both of these spots offer gluten-free options if that is needed.

Thanks to the other contributors as I'm logging many of these spots to try when next in Rome!

Posted by
7737 posts

Here's another vote for Fatamorgana gelato. One of their (tiny) shops is in the southwest point of the triangular Piazza San Cosimato.

Posted by
40 posts

Fatamorgana - YES. I think I had gelato from one of their locations (there are a few) 4 times in our 4 days in Rome. :)

Posted by
118 posts

Fatamorgana is the gelato shop we visited on our Twilight Trastevere tour. Extremely good!

We are from Kentucky, and imagine my surprise when the tour guide told us they had a gelato flavor called Kentucky Chocolate! It was a dark chocolate and tobacco flavor. I had to try it even though I couldn't imagine the tobacco flavor tasting good, but it was great!

Posted by
123 posts

I tried the Kentucky chocolate as well and agree, it was good! Fatamorgana never fails me with their creative flavors. It’s not in Trastevere, but I also highly recommend Gelateria del Teatro for cool and different flavors. Plus, that’s on Via dei Coronari, a lovely street to mosey down!

Posted by
818 posts

Best hidden, low key spot - it gets crowded quick but they are great and combine tables and make everyone happy. Food is outstanding. best we had in Rome.

http://www.daenzoal29.com/