Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Trastevere?

Any favorite restaurants in Trastevere? Reasonably priced, that is...if such a thing is possible these days.

Posted by
241 posts

Sorry don't know the name. On via del Politeama, which runs NW-SE, on west side of street mid-block, a place with two sides. The south side has entrance, some dining space, kitchen and cash register, north side is a large dining room. Brightly lit at night, so NOT romantic. But good, reasonably priced, popular with locals. They treat tourists decently.

Posted by
10 posts

Trattoria da Lucia was wonderful. I went last summer - early June. I would suggest to go early-ish (1930-1945) as it got crowded quickly.

Posted by
3262 posts

I second the vote for Trattoria da Lucia--we sat outside and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Our favorite memory of dinner in Trastevere was wandering into a restaurant on one of the back streets. There wasn't a menu, the waiter didn't speak English, and we ate what he brought us. Great fried small fish and pasta--it was such a fun experience!

Posted by
61 posts

Hi...
For inexpensive, great food...try Pizzaria Da Ivo on
Via di San Francesco a Ripa, 158
Tel. 06 581 7082

The pasta, pizza, and appetizers are great! If you like olives you MUST try the stuffed olives they sell there...they're like nothing you've ever tried!
Enjoy!

Posted by
7 posts

Definitely! Trattoria da Lucia was also my favorite ....ate there as often as I could last year! (Vicolo del Mattonato, 2)

Posted by
127 posts

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm looking forward to staying in Trastevere. As we'll be sightseeing in the other usual areas, I'm still open to suggestions for your favorite restaurants...even if they're outside the Trastevere area.

Posted by
7737 posts

Jean, when will you be in Rome? We're going in May and will be staying in Trastevere, so I'm learning from what's being posted here as well.

Posted by
1127 posts

La Fraschetta on Via Francesco a Ripa 134 has great pizza, pasta & meat dishes. If I remember correctly everything is under 10 euro. There is braided garlic and peppers hanging and the pizza maker sounds a horn when pizzas are ready. Casual & fun.

Posted by
127 posts

Michael, we'll be there in April. I'll post any new suggestions for you after that! Thanks to everyone for the recommendations...hope Spring comes early & we can sit outside at one of these places & watch Rome go by.

Posted by
6 posts

Jean,

I would suggest Spirito di Vino. I saw it on a travel show and went there myself a couple of years ago. It was fabulous!

My cousin got married a couple of weeks ago and she & her husband went to Rome for their honeymoon. I sent them to that restaurant as a gift. They told me it was the best food they have ever eaten! Not only is the food out of this world, but the atmosphere is just as good. It is family owned, and the owner takes the time to tell you about each item on the menu.

It is not inexpensive but not overly expensive either(about 150 Euro with tip). It is well worth the price. I am going back to Rome later this year and will definitely be eating there again.

Their website is www.spiritodivino.com. I would suggest making a reservation if you go there. Also, be sure to ask to see the wine cellar. That part of the building is over 2000 years old.

Bon Appetito!

Posted by
508 posts

We enjoyed Da Checco er Carrittiere (in Ricks Rome book). Great back patio, great service, great food! Filled with locals. Just have your hotel make a reservation, or you might get one of the empty tables inside. If you do go, try to go on a Saturday night when the area is filled with people.