Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Rome

Does anyone have any suggestions for lunch or dinner that are within walking distance to these areas: Vatican Museum, Colosseum, Piazza Navona, Piazza de Spagna, villa Borghese and the Trestevere area? Our 4 day itinerary will have us near these attractions during either lunch or dinner time. Thank you for any information you might be able to give me about this.

Posted by
7944 posts

These recommendations all have some age on them, but all are still well reviewed,

Popi Popi: Great place for basic Roman dishes and standards. Casual, something for everyone.

Dar Poeta: A now legendary pizza place, back in the day it was the place for modern style wood fired pizzas that few knew about.

Ristorante La Scala: More upscale, on a wonderful little piazza with a church, great for seafood, pasta, and other Italian dishes, well done, but far from the tourist trap places on the major piazzas.

These are all in the Trastevere, each different, La Scala better at night, try to get a terrace table, the others anytime. In my opinion, maybe worth a wander back to the Trastevere to try a second or third one.

Posted by
2088 posts

Take a look at the post below, Mangiare: Rome Restaurant Recommendations. There are many good suggestions.

Posted by
3112 posts

For great true Roman style pizza (very thin wood fired crust), try Baffetto near Piazza Navona. If Baffetto is closed, they've reopened Baffetto 2, now only a few blocks away (sign on Baffetto's window shows directions). I prefer the original location, although the new location stays open between lunch and dinner hours. For a nice dinner in Trastevere I like Osteria Pontesisto. It's near the bridge on right side of Piazza Trilussa, with outdoor seating and a newly remodeled interior.

Posted by
2725 posts

Near the colosseum find https://www.naumachiaroma.com. We returned from Italy a few days ago. We dined at Naumachia four times. The pastas are the star here. Near Piazza Navona, steps from the Pantheon is Armando al Pantheon. Reserve well in advance for dinner, a bit of a splurge but worth it.

Posted by
2023 posts

We never miss Cul de Sac on the edge of Navona --Spinach Ravioli is fabulous. Can't go wrong with any dish.

Posted by
238 posts

We really enjoyed Osteria Padi not far from St Peter’s Square and Mario’s behind Trajan’s Market

Posted by
237 posts

Thank you everyone. I'm writing down all of your suggestions. A really big help!!

Posted by
44 posts

We love Cul de Sac, too! We've only been for lunch, but love the quirky atmosphere and the salads and meat platters. We'll be in Rome for a couple of days at the end of a longish trip to Sicily, and I swear my husband wanted to stay over in Rome simply because he wants to go back to Cul de Sac.

Posted by
124 posts

Or you could download the Eat Italy app (I think there's a fee). We've enjoyed Le Mani in Pasta in Trastevere.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2725 posts

Oh, forgot two at the Spanish Steps. Il Gabriello. It’s downstairs and a bit tight. The food is fabulous. I had a grilled sea bream with potato’s and artichokes I’m still dreaming about. Nino Restaurant is a classic, been there since the 30’s. White tablecloths. At lunch it was filled with well dressed Italians (and me with jeans-oh well). They don’t allow shorts or flip flops. Exquisite food and wine. You pay a bit more dining around the steps and it’s easy to dine badly. You won’t at these two, Here is a neat article https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2015/06/ristorante-nino-in-rome-with-victor-hazan/ We we’re lucky enough to take a week long cooking class with the late Marcella and still living Victor oh so many years ago (he is the wine expert).

Posted by
2 posts

Ten years ago I visited Il Giardino di Albino with a tour group and it was SO good! It's still highly rated on Google (4.3/5 stars with 269 reviews). It's a few minutes walk from the Spanish steps.

http://www.ilgiardinodialbino.com
Via Zucchelli, 29
00187 Roma

Posted by
237 posts

So many great suggestions. I think we'll have to stay longer just to fit them all in. Thank you all so much.

Posted by
11506 posts

Buy these Apps: Elizabeth Mincheli’s EAT ROME and Katie Parla’s ROME.

Posted by
39 posts

We went to Chiostro del Bramante near Piazza Navona. Great little restaurant for lunch or just coffee. Like I said its near Piazza Navona overlooking a small piazza. Very cozy and off the beaten track.