Please sign in to post.

Restaurant Reservations

We will be arriving in Naples September 4 for 3 weeks and traveling to Sorrento, Rome, Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, Varenna. Would restaurant reservations be suggested in any of these cities?

Thanks for your expert advice :)

Diane

Posted by
11613 posts

For lunch, probably not needed. Dinner at a special (to you) restaurant might require a reservation, especially on weekend nights. If you call or stop by the day before that's usually enough time, but some very well-known places can be booked several days or weeks in advance.

Posted by
23297 posts

Really two aspects to the questions. Are reservations required in order to get a seat.? That varies just as it does in the US as to demand. For popular restaurants probably so but if you are flexible you should be able to get into most restaurants without a reservation.

The other aspects is that my personal opinion from experiences is that reservations are expected regardless of demand. American culture is far more causal from white socks and shorts to reservations. We find that reservations are expected regardless how busy they are and service level and table may depend on the reservation. A recent example - we were in France two weeks ago at a small restaurant in a small French town. It had an outdoor patio seating area with a dozen or more tables. We had made reservations around noon for a 7.30 seating. When we arrived we were cordially greeted, asked where we would like to sit, we asked for the outside area and were led to a nice table location in the patio area. One other table was occupied. We were within hearing distance of the podium for check in. After 15 minutes later another two American couples arrived. When asked if they had reservations they said, "No." His attitude changed, they were greeted with just a minute and he disappeared in the back. Several minutes later he reappears and motions them to the back of the restaurants inside. One of men received a curt , No, no, no when he pointed to the outside seats. During the next hour and a half, only half of the outside tables were occupied so I thinking we had our choice of tables because we made the reservation. We played the game.

We had similar experiences in Italy with reservations. So now we always make reservations. Sometimes we walk by at 6 and make a reservation for 8. It appears to be cultural polite thing to do so I would encourage you to make reservations.

Posted by
7737 posts

Certainly you're better safe than sorry if you make reservations. Some restaurants are so popular you have to make them many days in advance.

Frank, I have a different take on what happened to you. If I read your response correctly, you were at that restaurant until 9 pm. It could well be that those tables without patrons were reserved for a later time. We had a similar thing happen in Venice. We stopped by a restaurant in the afternoon to make reservations for that evening. "Can't do it," the owner told us. "All booked up." After cracking a few jokes with him we asked if there was some way we could get a tiny table. He warmed up and said, "I can give you a reservation for 7 pm, but you have to PROMISE that you'll be gone by 9 pm." He had been hesitant to give us any table for fear that we would do the typical Italian thing and spend the rest of the evening there.

Posted by
85 posts

Thanks. I will play it safe & make the reservations.

Posted by
23297 posts

Michael, that was not the case. We went elsewhere and swing by the restaurant on the way back to the hotel and it was still very empty. It was the middle of the week, mid-May, small town with few tourists. It just wasn't that busy. I think it is just the culture that reservations are expected.

Posted by
11613 posts

Frank, it may have been that particular restaurant's policy, but most restaurants are happy to accommodate diners without reservations if they have available tables.

Posted by
38 posts

We were just in Florence for a week and I Do ,suggest reservations it is much appreciated by the establishment and sets the right beginning. We often called during day or stopped by at lunch and made the reservation. We did a few times also go,right at opening time at 7 to a few places and had no problem. One place said if we can be out by 8:30 would get nice seating outside and was not a problem and we weren't offended we just go with the flow. Enjoy!

Posted by
23297 posts

No, Zoe, our observation is that is a common practice especially away from the heavy tourist traffic. We have seen it often and even had it happen to us when we didn't make reservations. We have learned. In heavy tourist zones where most people are not making reservations, then you are correct.

Posted by
15827 posts

I think it may depend on the popularity of restaurant and time you wish to have dinner. We are very early risers who have a few of miles under the belt before a lot of tourists are even out of bed. We also don't bother with sit-down lunches so we're ready for dinner earlier than probably a lot of people are. We've yet to be turned away from a restaurant if we're at the door at the opening hour (or earlier, if open all day) but we also prefer casual to fancier places. So far, no reservations for us!