Please sign in to post.

restaurant reservations

I will be on the 14 day Village tour.

Will I need an app to make restaurant reservations? Or are reservations not necessary in the smaller villages? Or just take my chances? If I should use an app, which one? Thanks.

Looking forward to all of the amazing food, desserts and drinks.

Haven't traveled abroad since 2019/Covid.

Thanks for your replies.

Posted by
911 posts

Check with your guide and the hotel first. They should be able to get you a reservation if needed.

Posted by
15213 posts

The Fork and Quandoo are the most used to reserve tables in Italy.

I usually call, the old fashion way. You can also try your luck and just walk in. It works in many cases, especially if you eat dinner very late, like I do. Restaurants in Italy open from dinner from 7pm to 11pm for the most part, however they tend to close the kitchen by 10pm, so you need to be in by 10pm

Posted by
1207 posts

I’ve always just called ahead, either the day before or even the day of when I want a reservation. This has worked fine for me in larger cities (except for holiday season when I call a few days earlier) and in cities and towns including Lucca, Siena, Montepulciano, Assisi, Pistoia, and Perugia. On the phone calls I start out by saying (in Italian) “I’m sorry I do not speak Italian. Do you speak English?” The person at the other end either then replies in English or gets someone on the line who does.

Posted by
473 posts

I’ve used our bnb hosts and Airbnb hosts to arrange restaurant reservations for upcoming trip to Italy. It was very easy, and I was very thankful for their kindness to help me. our place in Siena actually recommended two restaurants and made reservations for us. Some restaurants do have an online reservation system. Al Grill in Venice is one of them.

Blockquote