Please sign in to post.

Restaurant Reservations

Does anyone have experience making restaurant reservations for restaurants that don't do online bookings? My husband and I will be traveling to Florence, Tuscany country side (20 minutes outside Siena), and Puglia in September and I keep reading that we should make reservations in advance, but a lot of the places that are recommended only have phone numbers. Any advice on this?

Posted by
4578 posts

You can probably practice enough to reserve a table in Italian (just use Google translate) in the event that you get a non-English speaking person. I often walk by a place I am interested in and just do it in person, as my Italian (mostly my comprehension) is better in person than on the phone! In Puglia's small towns, this should be easy. If that is not logistically possible, perhaps you can ask your accommodations?

Posted by
3812 posts

only have phone numbers

Try to send a message via whatsapp. When you don't often speak English, reading is easier than listening. And you can always paste and google translate a chat.

If they read messages without replying within a few hours, or if they don't read messages at all, I'd follow both above advices.

Posted by
987 posts

I have successfully used WhatsApp to make the reservations. There are some places that don't have a WhatsApp account and for those I call. I don't speak Italian, so I type my request into Google translate and read it when making reservations. Many of the places actually speak some English and it worked for me quite well this past month.