Please sign in to post.

Restaurant recommendations for Spello, Assisi, & Perugia ???

We will be using Spello as a base for exploring the area this summer. We would love to hear about good places to eat in the area, especially in Spello, but also Perugia, Assisi, Montefalco, Bevagna, Spoletto, Trevi, Gubbio, Deruta, & Torgiano.

Posted by
153 posts

when are you going? i would love to hear about your time in Spello and Assisi! We are going this summer!

Posted by
211 posts

In Perugia, Mediterranea for the best pizza, and only pizza. Right past the Duomo on the right. L'Officina for creative yet reasonable dishes. Killer prix fixes. L'Osteria a Priori for locally sourced good stuff. Near Gubbio, il Panaro for the best torta al testo. Plus, it's a real local, homey place beloved by locals, truck drivers and nearby workers. In Spello, try Osteria de Dada. Fun, small menu, big heart. Oh, and in Perugia, go down to the Etruscan Arch, turn right and you'll find Antica Perusia, the best gelateria in town.

Posted by
7737 posts

I was fortunate enough to spend two weeks in Assisi in April/May 2015. There are lots of good restaurants there. I was able to try only some of them. Here's my experience:

Best restaurant IMHO is Trattoria Pallotta, off the Piazza del Comune. No view, but outstanding food. Order from the seasonal menu.

Runner up is Osteria Dei Priori. Also good is Il Menestrello.

Best restaurant for the view is Ristorante Metastasio.

Be sure to have the local wine, Sagrantino di Montefalco. Yummmm. They also make a dessert wine from the same grapes - a Passito. So good.

Posted by
304 posts

Thanks for the recommendations so far! It's easy to look on Trip Adivsor, but I always enjoy getting first hand reccommedations.
Nicole, we will arrive in Spello on June 17th, the day before Infiorata. We will have 6 days to explore Umbria. Then on to Siena, Orvieto and Rome.

Posted by
8 posts

SPELLO: (1) just a few steps downhill from the small town square is Restaurante Il Molino which has excellent food, wine, dessert and lovely atmosphere and service. One waiter, Johnny, has been there forever and loves to make clients happy. They have a chocolate cake served with a cream sauce that is unforgettable. I noticed it was rated only #14 on the list of restaurants in Spello, but it was number one for me.
(2) for lunch, the view from Il Trombone, quite a way up the hill almost to the end of town is wonderful. The food was not particularly outstanding, but was good, priced appropriately, and of course, in the relaxed atmosphere you can linger over a glass of wine and enjoy the view as long as you want.

DERUTA: (1) I do not know about restaurants in Deruta, but I know of a nice local place to have cappuccino at the old town square at the top of the hill. I cannot remember the name, but as you walk up the hill and enter the piazza, it is on the left next to the Information Center. Owned by "Dina," who speaks a little English.

(2) Several doors down from her place is a nice pottery store having a back room housing a collection of old pottery pieces. The front of the store sells pottery and is run by Manlio; he used to work for the famous Ubaldo Grazia pottery business and is able to sell lovely pieces for somewhat less expensive prices. Sorry, I am not telling you much about where to eat, as I rented an airbnb place and ate in my place.

ASSISI: (1) Bibenda wine bar up the hill from the piazza. If you like wine or want an afternoon rest, don't miss Nila's place! (I think she will remember me, you could say Deanna from the US sent you). Nila is a wonderful hostess who will leave you alone if you want, or tell you everything about the wine. She is from the Ukraine; came to Assisi because she loves St. Francis.

(2) Again, I rented and cooked in an airbnb. However I would suggest you look into the theater production of the life of Saint Clare which is put on in the evenings. In 2015, the people at the information booth did not seem to know much about it, but if you like music and dance, and know something of her life story, it is a beautiful performance done in Italian of course.strong text

Posted by
715 posts

Hotel la Rocca has a nice restaurant. Sit on the roof and you get a wonderful view up the North Valley.