Please sign in to post.

Restaurant in Florence to celebrate my son's birthday - steakhouse?

Hi!

I have been working really hard to put together a two week itinerary. We will arrive in Florence on a Sunday and my son's birthday is on a Wednesday, then we leave on Friday to Sorrento!

So, I was trying to plan the best day ever! I was thinking Roberto's wine tour to Sienna and the Madonna Bella farm, then dinner at a special restaurant that evening? Too much in one day? Any other ideas?

My son loves Italian food and steak, so I was hoping to find some recommendations for a nice restaurant. I don't mind spending the money if it is a fantastic memorable meal. I also don't want ultra fancy though...Any recommendations would be great!

Posted by
1059 posts

Wish it was my birthday too! This sounds like a great present!!! I really like the experience of eating at the Mercato Centrale by the San Lorenzo market. There is a steak place on the 2nd floor that is very, very good. I like to sit at the counter where I can watch the chef do his thing. No, it's not a restaurant. It's one of a couple of dozen places to eat what you want without being confined to one place or one menu. If someone doesn't want steak - they can get their meal at any other place then you can all share an open seating table. Something for everyone! Honestly, this has become my favorite place in Florence to eat. It is far more entertaining and special than even a high-priced restaurant, IMHO. Happy birthday to your son!

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I traveled through Florence in June 2017 with friends and their son. While on a wine tour in Tuscany, we met a couple and their daughter, who was studying in Florence. The daughter recommended Trattoria ZaZa to us. https://www.trattoriazaza.it/. We made a reservation and were NOT disappointed. The restaurant is deceiving from the outside (it's much larger inside than it appears). We enjoyed apps and pastas before our entrees. Everything was delicious and portions were perfect, so that we weren't full before the main course. For entrees, we ordered the Ossobuco, grilled beef tenderloin, rabbit and lamb (special menu item). Everything was cooked perfectly. We highly recommend this restaurant and will plan to go back this year when we re-visit Florence. Enjoy!

Posted by
392 posts

I recommend Birerria Centrale. It doesn't have a website but you can look it up on TripAdvisor or Yelp. Smallish, charmingly decorated, friendly staff....and did I mention the food? Great Florentine steak, white beans, ribollita, etc. Must make a reservation.

Posted by
65 posts

We had dinner at "Il Latini" is what I believe it was called. Very nice restaurant. Very good Florentine steak, and they were not offended when we asked that it be cooked a little more towards medium. This is their website:

http://www.illatini.com/