Please sign in to post.

Renting car in Milan (October 2020) and driving to Genova and Torino

Husband would like to do some driving (age 79) in Italy. Start in Milan and visit such towns as Parma, Lake country, Torino, Genova. Nothing chiseled in granite yet as to WHERE we will be driving. I am keen on using the train for these excursions 😊. Anybody have experience driving and parking in this area? Grazie!

Posted by
23267 posts

Some rental company will not rent to anyone over 75 - so check it out in advance.

Posted by
6897 posts

In general, driving into cities is strongly discouraged in Italy, with wide areas restricted to authorized traffic only (called ZTL) and hefty fines if you fail to obey the restriction, which is not always obvious on the ground.
So, as far as possible, I'd limit the driving to areas outside cities. The lakes are a great candidate.
Bottom line: take train from Milan to Turin and Padua, but car is OK for the lakes.

Not sure why you want to specifically visit Genoa? It is interesting, but less of a top sight that other places. The coast to the east is beautiful however, in the likes of Porto fino (and a car, unneeded).

Posted by
3161 posts

Train travel in Italy is efficient and very economical. As much as I love driving, and I’ve do so often in Italy, you do not want a car in any city because of the ZTL’s and general congestion. I also agree that there is no particular reason to visit Genova. If you are going to Torino, spend some time driving to the wine towns of the Piedmont and/or driving through Val d’Aosta to Courmayeur. The scenery is outstanding and taking the Skyway Monte Bianco is a great experience with beautiful views of the alps.