Please sign in to post.

renting an apartment in Rome

I am wondering if anyone has been ripped off on sites for renting apartments like vrbo and/or air bnb?

Posted by
3580 posts

Not exactly a rip-off, but the pictures shown online will make the apartment look better/larger than it really is. One place had a mirror along one wall that increased the perceived size of the main room. Check the square footage or square meters to compare apartment sizes. A square meter is approximately the size of a square yard. Multiply that number by 9 or 10 to get square feet. If the ad says "courtyard," be prepared for something modest in size. One I rented had a "courtyard" that was large enough for a couple of garbage cans, a potted plant and one or two chairs. It was merely a space to transit to get to my door. The studio apartment had two rollaway beds; they were ok, but not terribly comfortable. Another studio apt I rented had a fold-out sofa/couch/bed thing that was too heavy and bulky for me to re-assemble it daily. It stayed open into a bed the entire week I was there. It may be best to get recommendations from other travelers who have stayed in the apt.

Posted by
8677 posts

Have used vrbo.com, airbnb.com, and romeby.com. Each place I stayed was exactly as shown in the photos. Find hotel websites to be far more deceitful in their presentations. Good luck with your search.

Posted by
931 posts

We use VRBO, Homelidays, etc. to find our rentals in the EU. Yes, I have not been happy with some because "I did not do my homework." But when I have done my research. I have never been "stung". If I can't find a lot of reviews by previous tentants, I get worried. If the pictures don't do a good job displaying the unit, and its environs, I get worried, And I won't rent any apt until I know EXACTLY what floor it is on, and if it has a working elevator. And my last check; I don't rent until I get an address and can use Google Street View to "walk up and down" the adjacent streets; looking at the neighborhood and checking to see if it is on a noisy street, etc. Caveat Emptor!

Posted by
53 posts

Just got back from Rome in July and stayed at Miguel Apartment that I rented from VRBO. It was the perfect place for us. Out away from the downtown of Rome but right on the river down and across from the Vatican. Peaceful, quiet and very secure.

Posted by
21 posts

thanks everyone for your replies! Real helpful advice.
I am getting lots of replies from vrbo.com people who say the apt. I inquired about is not available but they have many other apartments and a lot of them have no traveler reviews.

Posted by
12 posts

We just stayed in Rome for a week in an apartment that I found on VRBO. It was exactly as described ( we had a really bad experience a few years back with a house rented in Bacciano so I have learned that you really must ask important questions upfront Like if you have special needs, animal allergies, etc.). I don't have the details in front of me but it's a great 2 bedroom about 2 minutes walk from Campo di Fiori. We loved it and it was a great homebase. Please feel free to send me a direct message if you would like more info on that apt - i'll send you the VRBO reference number.

Posted by
712 posts

Hi Anna - I agree with the other: vrbo.com, homeaway.com, airbnb, etc, are great and reputable websites to find a place to stay, but like anything you do have to do you homework. I found a place on easystanza.com, which is recommended on this website, and the ad said there were 2 bedrooms. We have a friend in Florence who checked out the place, and the "2 bedrooms" turned out to be a bed in the kitchen and a bed in the livingroom, no actual bedroom. Now rest assured that the owners were not trying to scam us or rip us off, but their standards were very different from ours. So again, research is definately a must!
Also, even if there are no reviews for the property you want, try looking elsewhere. Do a google search for the apartment name, or the email address of the contact person, or other random identifiers. You'd be surprised to find that although some people may not have left reviews on that particular website, there are other travel websites where they may have left reviews. Buon viaggio!

Posted by
238 posts

Knocking on wood as I type this - our three rentals in Rome have all been perfect! Two on VRBO (same manager) and one found on slowtrav.com

Posted by
7209 posts

This is the apartment we stayed in while in Rome several years ago. It was absolutely perfect and stunning and right in the thick of historic Rome...near Campo dei Fiori. It had 3 different floors in the apartment although the 3rd floor was actually just a landing with an extra bed. It had great AC with a unit on each floor. Washing machine, full kitchen, fruit & vegetable markets a few steps out the door and bakeries all around. This was our first apartment rental in Europe and it turned out to be excellent. Maybe it will work for you: http://www.vrbo.com/320914

Posted by
2 posts

We had good luck 2 years ago with Sleep in Italy. One bedroom apt in the Pz. Navona area. Next month we go back and will use them again, in Venice & Rome, between the Barberini and Spanish Steps metro stops.

Posted by
83 posts

We've used vrbo and greatrentals numerous times and have not been disappointed. Many times we've been pleasantly surprised. It's a great way to go.

Posted by
40 posts

We had a wonderfull experience in Rome in May. Check out VRBO #345008. We stayed there with our friends. David could not have been easier to work with. He also offers free transport from the ariport. We were no farther than 15 minutes from the Trevi, Piazza N., Spanish Steps, Pantheon, etc. Easy walk to all areas. Apt is updated with 2 beds, 2 baths, glass tiles in bath, ipod docks in all rooms, computer, washer/dryer combo. Super market is around the corner with great bakery/'bar across the street. David lives in VA. Apt. has an interesting past. Read at www.spanishstepsaprtement.com.

Posted by
7737 posts

Finding reliable online reviews is made even harder when some places pull stunts like this: Web reviews for sale