Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Venice

Hi,

We are staying for 2 nights in Venice and then renting a car to drive into the Dolomites ( 5 nights) and then drive to Milan via Stelvio Pass.

Question: Any recommendation on which rental office should we pick - the one's on Venice island or the ones' on the main land or one's near the airport?

Also, any recommendation on which rental company to pick? We need a car with Automatic and fits 4. So definitely a mid-size. I was considering SIXT but open to suggestions.

TIA!

Posted by
6921 posts

Definitely rent on the island, it is so much more convenient. Just be aware of the speed cameras on the bridge out of Venice!
As for which company, I would have a look at a broker like Autoeurope and pick whatever well-rated company has the best rate for your type of vehicle. Sixt typically runs expensive, but i have had good experiences.

Posted by
363 posts

Stelvio Pass in a car, Yikes! hard enough on a motorcycle where I could stand up in back and see if the corner was clear before we entered the turn. Klausen that's the pass for me (by Altdorf), further north but not so much above the tree line very green very pretty. I would train as far as possible away from Venice in the direction your going before renting a car J

Posted by
32918 posts

We need a car with Automatic and fits 4. So definitely a mid-size.

You may need even larger if you are 4 with luggage, unless your luggage is quite small...