Please sign in to post.

renting a car in Tuscany

We are traveling to Italy in October and will mostly travel by train, but we do want to rent a car for 5 days in Tuscany. Any suggestions about which city/town to rent a car? I understand Florence is very challenging to drive in, so I think I'd like to rent it someplace outside of Florence. We will have spent 2-3 days in Florence prior to renting a car. Thanks!

Posted by
831 posts

Carole,
It depends on where you are going next although you could rent from the Florence airport.

Posted by
267 posts

we rented with auto europe in siena for 3 days and dropped it off in chiusi, no extra charge. good luck :):)

Posted by
31 posts

we are next going to S. Italy - Sorrento likely. So, we'll need to get to a train to take us there after dropping off the car. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Posted by
831 posts

Carole,
I was asking where you were going from Florence. If going to Chianti get the car at the airport. If going to southern Tuscany, Siena might be better. If going western Tuscany Lucca may be better.

Posted by
691 posts

one suggestion, we had no problem driving in tuscany 2 years ago, but buy a good regional map, in italy signs indicated the next village, so if you don't know it you don't know wich direction to take. aside from that driving in tuscany was great!

Posted by
31 posts

Henry - I'm not sure where we're going in Tuscany yet - still trying to decide that. We aren't sure really what is reasonable. I know that Tuscany is a big region - while I, of course, want to see it ALL, I do want to have our time in Tuscany be relaxing. Suggestions welcome!

Posted by
31 posts

Did you buy a map there, or take one with you? I see that Rick Steves has one available - not sure if that one is detailed enough.

Posted by
4 posts

Me and my soon to be bride are planning 3 days in the Tuscany region with Orvieto being our home base. Thanks to the poster who suggested Auto Europe, we found a deal for just at $200 for 3 days. We're pondering just buying Rick's map to use for the drive.

Posted by
192 posts

I have rented autos and picked them up in Arezzo. Pickup point is right across the street from the train station and has easy access to the highway.