Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Sicily

I am trying to rent a car to drive from Palermo to Menfi to stay at Vill Ravida then on to Mandranova in Palma di Montechiaro. From the States the only car I have found with automatic transmission is a Mercedes. Should one get the insurance while driving in Sicily? I see you suggest to take the bus or train from the airport to Palermo, then rent a car there. Thank you.

Claudia Rhodes

Posted by
10344 posts

Answering only one of your questions: "Should one get the insurance while driving in Sicily?"

I have no stats on this, but I'll bet Sicily is a place where there's a greater chance you might want CDW (damage to the rental car); I mean a greater chance than driving in the US.

I think car theft insurance is mandatory in Italy; and some form of CDW coverage, if not required, is probably a really good idea. But it isn't cheap, that's the problem.

In countries other than Italy (and probably Ireland), you have a couple of other choices, other than paying for the rental company's CDW: redit card coverage and Travel Guard. But not in Italy; and of course there are reasons why they don't cover Italy.

And lastly, an IDP is, technically, required by Italian law. Most of the rental companies don't ask to see it, so some people figure they don't need it (I rented before in Italy and the rental company didn't ask to see an IDP) but that's incorrect as to Italy. We've been told that people who have had accidents in Italy, and didn't have an IDP, wished they had gone to AAA and paid the $20.

Posted by
15 posts

Tomorrow I'll be on my way to AAA to get an IDP, thanks for the tip. And I'll make sure I get the necessary insurance too.

Best regards,
Claudia in St. Louis

Posted by
10344 posts

Good show, Claudia! Glad we could help.

You know, in Italy, when you've got your money belt on under the trousers and your super-CDW paid down to zero liability--ya got no worries and can go and enjoy everything with abandon--what can happen!

Posted by
247 posts

If you'll be going to Menfi, take the bus to the airport in Palermo and rent the car at the airport, not in the city.
And call Auto Europe for your rental.