Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Rome

My husband & I will be traveling to Italy in September. We plan to spend 2 nights in Rome & then would like to rent a car for 4 days prior to returning it to Florence. Can anyone recommend the best place & company to rent from? Or, should we train to Orvieto & is it possible to rent there?

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks. I read about autoeurope on another posting. Do you have any other suggestions.

Posted by
10344 posts

Many of those travelers reporting here pick up at Rome airport or Orvieto, to avoid Rome city center traffic; and return to Florence airport or anywhere else in Florence except the city center (which could cost you a few hundred dollars in fines for violating the ZTL restricted traffic zones).

Posted by
1158 posts

A few years ago I rented a car from Amsterdam from www.Europcar.com
They had the lowest prices at that time and have offices all over Europe, in case something happens.

Posted by
74 posts

You can look into Maggiore. They are Italy's equivalent to National Car Rental. www.maggiore.it
sometimes it's the luck of the draw on getting a good deal, but i booked on maggiore a few weeks ago - got a better deal than on autoeurope, hertz, or avis.

good luck!