Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Naples

Hi there, we are taking the Frec from Rome to Naples then renting a car. Does anyone know if there is a car rental company located on the outskirts of Naples that would help us to avoid any driving in Naples? Has anyone from US driven in Naples that could give me their feedback on it? We have driven in Europe a number of times but the amount of negative stuff i am hearing about driving in Naples is giving me anxiety! Lastly, is it fairly simple to get a cab from the train station to "said car rental company"? Thanks very very much.

Posted by
179 posts

Hello, Not sure where you are going after you get to Naples but from everything I am reading driving in the Amailfi coast is really scary. We will be in Amalfa late Oct---a party of 4 and even though my son-in-law thinks he can drive it I am having major hesitations! As for your transfer check Viatour's----Their prices are very reasonable so would assume you could get a taxi without blowing the budget. Sorry, I know this is not helping your question!

Posted by
11613 posts

You could take the airport shuttle bus or a taxi from Napoli Centrale and rent the car there. Airport is very close to the city.

Posted by
490 posts

Check out prices and availability at Naples ferry port , usually cheaper than airport and 10 minute taxi ride from Napoli Centrale.

The question is where are you driving to? North okay, south crazy! ;)
FYI no rental cars on ferries .

Enjoy!

Posted by
15183 posts

Give us more itinerary detail on where you are going with a rental car. Depending on what or where you need it for our advice may change, including advising you not to rent a car at all (or rent it in Rome).

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for your clarifying questions. We will be taking the train from Rome to Naples. Then driving to Pompeii and on to Meta outside of Sorrento. Is it better to get a car at a car rental outside of the airport or by the ferry. I would like whatever provides the easiest accessibility to the route that will take us to Pompeii. Also, any suggestions for a car rental place would be delightful!

Posted by
285 posts

You could just take the circumvesuvia train to Pompei, from Naples then on to Meta. Avoid the car is what I've been told for my trip to the same area next week.

Posted by
4105 posts

Easiest is taxi from train station to the airport. Rent car, short ride to the autostrada (A3) then on to Pompeii.
Are you staying in Meta, or still plan on trying to drive to Positano ?

Posted by
11181 posts

I picked up rental just outside the Naples train station (Hertz--there were signs for others as well)--- programmed my GPS for Sorrento and left Naples.

Probably easier to park car at your lodging and take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii

If all you are trying to do is to get from the Naples train station to your lodging in Meta and Pompeii then a rental car is not needed.

The Circumvesuviana, should get you where you are going

Posted by
32212 posts

karen,

Also note that each driver registered on the rental form will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. IDP's are easily available at any AAA office for a small fee.

You'll also have to be extremely vigilant to avoid the ZTL (limited traffic) areas which exist in many Italian towns, as expensive fines will result for each pass through one. There are also speed cameras, tickets for driving in bus lanes, etc.

My preference would be to use public transit. If you need a car to reach Meta, you could rent in Sorrento.

Posted by
2047 posts

We recently rented a car at the ferry terminal. It was very easy to get on the highway to head south to Pompeii from there. There were not the added fees that airport car rental have.

Posted by
15183 posts

I don't see the need for a car at all.
From Naples Central station take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. If you want to visit Pompeii on the way there get off at the Pompei-Villa dei Misteri station. They have luggage storage at the Archeological site. Meta is the train stop before Sorrento. You can get off there and walk to your hotel. If you absolutely need a car, there are offices in Sorrento (Europcar and Hertz are 100 mts or less from the Sorrento station).

Posted by
15585 posts

I'm pretty "adventurous" about driving. I managed to drive around the Amalfi Coast and even enjoyed it. But after spending a few days in Napoli, that is one place I would never ever try to drive.