Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in La Spezia

Hi, we want to rent a car in La Spezia and drive to a agriturismo in Tuscany... unfortunately, we seen a lot of bad reviews for the car rental companies in La Spezia.Does anyone have a rental company in La Spezia they would recommend? Thank you ... Juli..

Posted by
1710 posts

La Spezia actually only has the better car companies. Avis/Budget is closest to the train station and they get few complaints. Hertz and Europcar are about a 10 Euro taxi ride from the train and they also don't get many serious complaints. Watch the hours, they are all closed Sunday and Sat. afternoon, and possibly Sat. morning... and since it's Italy they close for lunch, too . There's a map of locations in this article along with a link to an article with car rental company reviews: http://www.apathtolunch.com/2015/11/where-to-rent-car-from-cinque-terre-la.html

Posted by
32222 posts

For driving in Italy, be sure that each driver listed on the rental form has the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. You'll also need to be vigilant to avoid the ZTL (limited traffic) areas which exist in many cities (hefty fines!).

Posted by
15269 posts

Hertz, Europcar, Avis-Budget have bad reviews? I guess once in a while someone has a bad experience with them. Even I did, in California.

Posted by
1710 posts

Thanks Ken, I forgot to add that. On the outside door of Europcar in La Spezia last year I saw a notice posted in polite Italian that said (paraphrasing here) 'No IDP, No Car'.