Please sign in to post.

renting a car in Italy

I'm considering renting a car in Milan and driving to Venice. Is renting a car and dropping it off elsewhere the same as in the USA?

Posted by
32921 posts

I don't rent cars so can't help there. But, if you are looking for advice on driving in Northern Italy, and the advisability of same, and the perplexities of driving into Venezia, just ask us for more info...

Posted by
2876 posts

One big difference is that credit card insurance that covers you in the US may very likely not be valid in Italy. In Italy you want to be sure to have all the insurance you can get. Also, ask ahead if you'll be charged a one-way dropoff fee. Usually these are only assessed if you drop off the car in a different country, but I'd still ask.

Posted by
7737 posts

And all the signs are in Italian. I always say "It's a lot harder to get lost on a train than in a car." :-) IMHO, the main reason to rent a car in Italy is if you want to go where the trains don't. Happy travels.

Posted by
3313 posts

Most car rental agencies will let you pick up in one location and drop at another within the same country at no extra cost. That's a better deal than most agencies in the U.S. Dropping in Venice is very easy - you just drive in on the only road and go to the Piazzale Roma. Picking up in Milan would be more challenging. I'd suggest the airport. As others have said, if you're going to drive straight to Venice, the train would be easier. But there's lots to see in between by car if you have the time to poke around.

Posted by
653 posts

Larry, what time of year are you traveling? Fog is very dangerous for driving in the area around Milan - check weather advice.

Posted by
9110 posts

Actually, in Italy, there's often a drop-off fee for a second city, maybe only forty-five or fifty bucks, but it's still a consideration. Also, there's a toll booth along there somewhere that costs about another twenty-five dollars. I'm betting that to rent a car for a day, pay for the insurance, gas, and tolls - - you're looking at close to two hundred dollars - - all for not the most scenic drive in the world. It's a three-hour drive - - by the time you get to the car, pick it up, turn it in, get to the hotel, etc, you're going to burn the better part of a day. I drive everywhere and have no idea what a train would cost or how long it would take - - but I'd sure look into it for something like this.

Posted by
974 posts

Have driven this route twice, and it is one of the most dangerous according to an expat friend. The autostrada is quick, not as exciting as expected.I love to drive in Europe but I'd take the train IF you are just going from point A ( Milan) to point B (Venice). Now, if you are going to take a couple or three days and go noodling around, then a car would be fun except for the slight discomfort of getting out of downtown Milan. DO take all the insurance you can get and don't leave anything in the back seat even when you just stop for lunch.
Plug in the pickup/dropoff points in the rental agency's website and add insurance to get a good idea of cost. Remember, gasoline is more expensive than you;re used to paying. Northern Italy is lovely.

Posted by
2207 posts

Larry, I agree with most of the group and say, "Get on the train!". The route from MXP to Venice would primarily be autostrada - unless you want to wander - and frankly, that's not the prettiest ride in Italy. Is renting a car similar to doing so in the States? Yes and No. The process is the same, with pick-up and drop-off just like the US. You can drop off elsewhere, but there are limitations ... like no GPS units provided on many one-way rentals. (Small, independent operators want their highest Euro-generating cars back!). Many of even the largest vendors - like Hertz - are Italian franchisees. So if you have an issue, you won't be dealing with Hertz in the USA, but with Hertz.it. I know because I've had to fight some of those battles! Being battle-scarred, I always opt for the full comprehensive insurance. And no, your credit card (like my AMEX Platinum) will probably not cover your auto rental insurance in Italy. So you will pay more here for "extras" which in the States are often covered by your CC or personal car insurance - no so luck in Italy. You'll also need an International Driving Permit. Despite many debates on this issue, it's the law in Italy for US drivers. You don't want to get stopped at a Random Traffic Stop without an IDP. I can't remember that last time I've ever photographed a rental car in the States... but I do it almost every time I rent in Italy. I've had to file three disputes in roughly 50-60 car rental experiences (We don't own a car in Europe). Personally, I never drop off a car at an unattended site in Italy. That led to one of my most time-consuming disputes. So similar to the USA, but perhaps with some restrictions.

Posted by
2207 posts

We also had one of our most frustrating driving experiences driving from Milan south on the autostrada. With my wife driving, we were flying along until we came to a toll booth. Traffic was slightly backed up as we picked our lane to pay. Once we paid, we exited the 12-lane ticket booth area into total chaos! Those 12 lanes all squeezed - pretty quickly - down to TWO lanes! And of course, everyone in Italy takes it as their right to be first when driving. It took us almost an hour to go about 700 meters - we're talking inch-by-inch. NO driver would give quarter or allow you drop in front of them. It was bumper-to-bumper, door handle-to-door handle. Thank goodness for full insurance coverage. In this situation, there were no driver courtesies. In the US, road-rage would have commenced immediatly... in Italy, it was a lot of yelling and hand gestures - for an hour! Of course, if you tried to get a driver's attention to ask to jump into a slow-moving conduit, they just stared straight ahead and ignored you. I did learn many new Italian words that day! My wife - an experienced manual transmission driver, and an experienced driver in Italy - was literally exhausted after we got through this mess. We stopped a few miles down the road for needed bathroom breaks and some caffe' to calm our fractured nerves.

Posted by
1018 posts

Take the train! It is easier, more relaxing, and less confusing. You simply take the train or bus from Malpensa to the Stazione Centrale in Milano. Then take one of the hourly trains to The Santa Lucia train staion in Venice. It is no muss...no fuss. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
32921 posts

We haven't again heard from Larry, so absent feedback, I will just briefly mention the wall of trucks which forms after the last toll booth before Venice. It is sometimes really hard to get back into the slow lane of the autostrada and see the signs for the road over to Venice. I have before had to go around the far side of Mestre because I couldn't get off, and I know the area pretty well.

Posted by
7 posts

All excellent advice, thank you. Sounds like the train is the best alternative. We are planning on stopping for a side trip between Milan and Venice. We could just get off the train at a desired city, take a taxi to a hotel, and pop back on the train.

Posted by
719 posts

Definitely take the train. It's more fun, less stressful, and will likely save you time and trouble. With that being said, I've picked up cars outside of Rome and dropped them in Florence numerous times without trouble.
Also, on one of my past trips to italy, someone sideswiped my car in Cortona (brutal parking options in that town...) and my Capital One Visa covered it. I didn't purchase supplemental insurance (I never do). Admittedly, I was surprised at that, but pleased. Maybe my paperwork slipped through the cracks, but I was never charged.