Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Italy

Has anyone run into any problems renting a car? Did you get an automatic when you requested one? Who have you rented from?

Posted by
1127 posts

You will pay a higher rate for an automatic car. I always use AutoEurope.com and have never had a problem. They have a 24-hour toll free line with english speaking operators. If you request an automatic car you should be fine if you are picking up the car in a large city.

Posted by
486 posts

If you are traveling off season and can drive a stick, rent that. Off season, all those automatics with A/C don't just disappear. On a trip to the UK with a couple of 80 year old relatives, we asked for small stick shift car as I could drive it. On all three rentals, we were upgraded to larger, automatic, A/C equipped cars as that was all they had left. While there is no guarantee, ...

Posted by
10344 posts

Renting from Avis worked for us in Italy. Many on this site recommend AutoEurope. Even if the website you used to book the reservation as a box that you check for automatic, recommend that you phone them about two or three days before your arrival in Italy to doublecheck that they understand that you really really want an automatic.

Posted by
221 posts

just don't drive anywhere near Rome, those are the craziest drivers I have ever seen, but they know what they are doing.