Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Florence

No, I really don't want to drive in Florence, ever. But, we would like visit some of the hill towns off the railway lines. We've never rented a car in Europe before. Would it be remotely economical to rent a car for just one or two days? Are there rental agencies on the outskirts of the city? Should we make arrangements here first before we go? There would be four of us but no luggage as this would be a day tripping rental. Actually, I have the same questions about Paris.

Posted by
383 posts

Jenny, I guess I don't understand if you are staying in Florence or some other town. If you are staying in Florence, will you be coming back to Florence at night or staying overnight somewhere else? If you will be staying somewhere else then I suggest you rent from here through Autoeurope. When you go to their website and type in Florence, choose the Via del Gelsomino location to pick up the car. It is out of the city center but it is still Florence. You will have to take a taxi from your hotel in Florence to the pick-up location. We picked up our car there and it is very easy and straight shot out of town from there. Looks like a 3-day rental is the shortest they offer. It is about 200 dollars for an economy car for 3 days.

Posted by
209 posts

Kathy, we have rented an apartment in Florence for a week. The idea is to rent a car for a day while we are there. We'd rent it in and return it to the same outfit in Florence.

Posted by
32212 posts

Jenny, Are you aware of the usual "issues" concerning driving in Italy? If not, post another note for further information. You might find it helpful to download the "Car Rental" PDF Guide from Gemut. Cheers!