Please sign in to post.

Renting a car for tuscany

Coming from Rome via train, where is the best stop to get off and rent a car to head to Tuscany hill towns?

Posted by
540 posts

We rented our car in Siena and took a day trip driving in Tuscany. It worked very well.

Be sure to make reservation ahead of time.

Posted by
166 posts

Depends on where in Tuscany you are headed of course, but what I've done is take a taxi from my hotel to a car rental place near the ring road of Rome. It was a breeze to rent the car and get right on the autostrada.

Posted by
4105 posts

As Lisa pointed renting by the ring road. Tiburtina station has an assortment of different agencies. Easy access to the autostrada.

Orvieto by train, but only Hertz is available.

If you decide on taking the train further north, Chiusi would be my choice.

Posted by
8100 posts

We last rented a car for Tuscany for two weeks after a trip with a few days in Rome and then followed with a week in Florence. We rented the car from FCO and dropped it at the airport in Florence avoiding the ZTL issues both places. We rented a place with parking in Montepulciano and used that as a base for touring the area. The more particular your car needs are the more reason to use a major airport. e.g. if you want an automatic, your odds are much greater than at smaller local outlet. We once were forced to take a seriously damaged car or have no car at a smaller site in Rome. After that we used airports and occasionally major train stations.

Posted by
312 posts

Same as Lisa mentioned, I rented my car by Tiburtina station. Getting out of Rome wasn't difficult from there. Like Janet, I went to a Montepulciano hotel that offered parking and used it as my base in Tuscany for a few days. I returned the car in Siena and took a taxi up to my hotel there. AutoEurope didn't have too many options available for automatic transmission for my itinerary, but they found me one (through Hertz, if memory serves) and everything worked out fine.