Please sign in to post.

renting a car

We will be in Italy for a month and we will be flying into Rome. Is it best to take a train to Naples, where we want to spend a few days; then to rent a car there to go spend a few days between Naples and the Amalfi Coast before heading north to Assisi? Or wait until we leave the area to rent a car and head North? Any ideas? We know we are going to want a car for the rest of our trip and time in Italy, as we are exploring the countryside this time instead of big cities...well, of course we will visit Sienna and Florence but those will be day trips!

Posted by
792 posts

For a month I would consider a lease car through autoeurope. The rate will be much better and insurance is inclusive. You can pick one up in Rome

Posted by
16893 posts

One reason to start further north and head south later is to get used to driving in Italy before you brave the Amalfi Coast roads. If you've driven in Europe before, then maybe this won't be a problem. But I have driven through many countries of Europe (with a leased car) and still found the traffic issues around the Amalfi and Pompei areas to be the most challenging I have encountered on the Continent. When you have a choice, stick to the larger highways for as long as possible. In one case, I accidentally exited the highway one stop too early on the way from Sorrento to Herculaneum and it seemed to add an hour to my drive time at midday.