Please sign in to post.

Rental Cars/Vans

Please supply tips on renting a car at FCO/Rome Airport. We arrive on May 5th and I'm wondering what is the best rental company to rent from. And when do you add a second driver? Travelocity told me I have to call the company and alert them to a second driver. We have four adults in our group with 4 small pieces of carryon luggage.

Thank you!!

Posted by
7024 posts

You can add a second driver when you pick up the vehicle. The second driver will cost an additional 10€ per day. If you reserved through Costco the second driver is free. When renting vehicles, I almost always go through Enterprise or Avis.

Posted by
2378 posts

hey hey alice19
make sure all drivers get an international driving permit from AAA, good for a year. about $25 with 2 passport sized pictures. look it up, a permit that translates your driver's license.
hang loose

Posted by
6993 posts

We always book our cars thru www.AutoEurope.com
A US based consolidator with usually best rates and always stellar customer service

All drivers must have an IDP and be sure to do your homework regarding driving in Italy (ZTLs, parking, speeding etc)

We have rented and driven in Italy several times and have never received a ticket
Just pay attention and follow the local laws

Posted by
1011 posts

I am with Christine, I always rent through AutoEurope. They are not only cost-effective, but they are really great when you have an issue. Even though we rented through AutoEurope in Italy, as a consolidator, they used Hertz. Because I was Hertz Gold, I could get my second driver for free.

Driving in Italy (Tuscany) for us was fairly straight forward, even with a Van. The biggest challenge for us with such a large vehicle was parking.