Please sign in to post.

Rental Cars

Hi All - I'm in the process of finalizing a trip to Italy for October 2021. While some of the trip will be by train, I'd love to have a car for a few days. We've heard the stories about the lack of available rental cars here in the United States in popular tourist areas. Is this an issue in Italy too or was it more to domestic US travel?

Thanks in Advance!

Posted by
16 posts

Try autoeurope.com or Rentalcars.com. We booked a car outside of Verona for the end of September and there were several options to select from. Have a fantastic trip. #ihopeweallgettogo

Posted by
2331 posts

The price is a good indication of supply. I’m researching a 3 week road trip starting and ending in Italy next summer. I’m seeing rates over $3,000. For comparison, we paid $700 for the same period in 2018.

Posted by
32875 posts

Just a quick note to save you a lot of money - before you leave the US you need to get an IDP at the AAA for around $20.

Don't forget your DL.

Also before you go read up on Italian driving laws - there are a number of gotchas.

Learn about how to avoid ZTLs. Understand that cameras patrol the areas that need patrolling - it is unlikely you will be pulled over for speeding but the camera will get you.

If you get a ticket it will be sent to the owner of the car - the rental company. So they don't have to pay your fine they provide the details of the driver to the police who - eventually - mail you the ticket which will increase over a period of time. The rental place will charge your credit card around 40€ for supplying your details. You will have agreed to all this in your contract.

Don't drive or park in a bus lane. Don't speed. Learn to recognize no entry signs and one-way signs.

Many credit card insurances are not valid in Italy. Certain insurance is required by Italian law.

Watch out for motorinos, pedestrians and bicycles.

Plan ahead - use your GPS or map app, and be prepared. A word to the wise is sufficient...

enjoy

Posted by
404 posts

I’m currently renting cars in Italy right now. There doesn’t seem to be any problem with availability. A lot of companies have jacked up their prices, whether that’s to try to recoup losses from 2020 or because it’s high season, but hopefully that will be better by October. I’d make reservations now if you can to make sure you get the vehicle you want.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone. I should have been more clear in my original post. I am able to make reservations as normal. My concern was showing up to the rental car location with a confirmed reservation but no cars available. I heard some horror stories, mostly from Hawaii, that people were showing up at destination airport with a reservation but no car waiting for them.

My takeaway here is that if I have confirmed reservation, a car should be there for me, albeit higher than usual pricing.

Thank you again!

Posted by
6606 posts

As long as you’re dealing with a reputable rental company you shouldn’t have any problem. Trying to rent at the last minute might be an issue. As was already stated, rental prices are very high right now.