Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Parking

Please before you tell me to drop the car off BEFORE I get to Rome, please know that is not an option. The rental car which was a round trip can not be returned anywhere else. The reservation can not be changed because it was part of a vacation package, hotels, car and airfare bundled together deal that we purchased. It can not be changed, I repeat after weeks of trying it can not be altered. Since the rental was from the airport it has to be returned to the airport, neither the booking service nor Hertz can change the reservation. So I am stuck with a car! We want to stay in the city my question is where can I park this car and then taxi into and stay for two nights in the city center then return to my parked rental car and get it back to the airport to return home. This was a package 5 nights in Umbria and 2 in Rome. We are not going to stay in the hotel in Rome that was part of the package because it is so far out. I need suggestions on where to park this car for two nights but please don’t tell me to get rid of the car I cannot.

Posted by
7059 posts

Maybe just park it at the airport? I don't know what the daily cost is (8-10 euros?) but it would certainly be easier and likely safer than in the city.

Here you go:
https://fiumicinoairport.com/fiumicino-airport-parking/#/searchcars

And be sure to allow yourself enough time on departure day to get the car and return it to rental facility ;)

The fixed rate for taxi to/from FCO to Rome center is 48 euros.

Posted by
11747 posts

Are you saying they will not accept an early return?

Posted by
7059 posts

That’s what I wondered Joe, but OP seems pretty clear on that. She has tried to change the reservation.

Debbie- just to be clear did you ask if you can simply return the car early to Hertz, but not actually change reservation so you’re still paying for those 2 days?

Posted by
7 posts

The person I spoke with said there would be a significant charge to even return it early.

Posted by
7 posts

I should also add I have spoken to several folks in the Hertz international department as well as the tour operator.

Posted by
7 posts

Since our time is so brief in Rome we were trying to maximize it without making the trip to the airport and then back to the historic center and then back to the airport. But I am beginning to think there is no other choice.

Posted by
7059 posts

Where in Rome are you staying?
Locate your hotel on Google maps then search nearby for parking garage

If you give us the name of hotel we can probably help

You also might ask hotel for parking options near them

Posted by
15900 posts

Return it early. They may be unable to give you a refund or credit for the unused days, but there will be no additional penalty for an early return. Whoever told you that does not know what is talking about. I e returned my prepaid rental car earlier (usually a day earlier) many times. No credits or refunds, but no extra penalties.

Posted by
33578 posts

If you know the name of the Rome hotel there is likely an underground car park not too far away. Avoiding the ZTLs of Rome (ask if you don't know what that means and we can save you many big bucks) by arriving from the GRA northeast of Rome on Via Saleria you can park under the Spanish Steps and Borghese Park, or quite nearby is the underground car park nearer the Via Veneto at Parking Ludovisi. The spaces are small at both, but a little larger under the Spanish Steps. I've used both quite successfully, and successfully avoided the dreaded ZTLs by going back out Via Saleria. My wallet was a bit lighter though - 18€ per day at Parking Ludovisi, 22€ per day at Borghese. From the Borghese garage you can go straight onto the Metro without going outside.