Please sign in to post.

Rental Car insurance

Any input on the “refundable deductible” insurance coverage through Auto Europe? As opposed to zero deductible, besides being less money ( several hundred dollars) . If you have damage with zero deductible, you just walk away..With refundable, you pay the deductible and complete paperwork to receive a refund of the deductible payment. Just curious how this actually plays out (time and dependability) to get a refund of the deductible.
Any experience with this process?

Posted by
12313 posts

I've had one accident (in France) and used my Amex card insurance (declined all optional insurance). Amex was great, really better than great. Now, I book every rental with Amex and always decline the optional insurance.

Posted by
355 posts

Good to know Travelboss. I use American Express car insurance on all my rentals. Knock on wood, I’ve never had to deal with a claim. I think of the $20 or so as a convenience fee. I’m glad to know that you were pleased and it worked. I will continue to use it with confidence. Thanks!

Posted by
3635 posts

I also rely on Amex for rental car insurance; BUT, if I remember correctly, Italy is excluded from that coverage. As with any insurance, the devil is in the details, and you need to read the fine print carefully.
I have always relied on my cc for insurance in Italy. I call to check that there have not been changes since the prior usage. Once or twice I’ve actually filed claims and have been reimbursed without hassle. If you go that route you need to keep copies of all paperwork. You pay and get reimbursed. I believe it took around 6 weeks..