Please sign in to post.

Rental Car in Florence

Sorry, this question may have been answered already. My wife and I, along with another couple, need a rental car from Florence, to take us to a winery in Chianti. We would like to avoid traffic issues etc. Is it best to rent from Florence airport or the train station? We would like to rent from the train station, as that is the closest area to our hotel.

Posted by
12 posts

When renting a car in Rome, keep in mind when turning your car over to the hotel parking attendant that he may not legally park it where it should be. Returning home, we received notification from Hertz that we had received a parking ticket between the time we turned our car over to be parked in the hotel's "garage" and the time we had it returned to us. The ticket and fee by the hotel to "research" our credit card information for payment of the parketing ticket was charged to our credit card. If you plan to visit Radda in Chianti, be sure and stop for lunch at La Botte di Bacco and enjoy the wonderful food and hospitality of owner Flavio D'Auria. Also, while visiting Panzano, meet Stefano Salvatori owner and master chef of La Academia del Buon Gusto cooking school. He's a facinating character and worth the visit!

Posted by
71 posts

Tim, the horror stories abound on various threads regarding the ZTL'z in Florence. Use the advanced search feature and you will find them. I haven't and wouldn't ever rent a car and think of driving into the city. I think by reading the threads, you will get some helpful information. Also check Ron In Rome, as I think he has written on this subject. Good luck!

Posted by
355 posts

We rented a car in Seina and drove all around the Chianti region. Seina is a much easier town in which to drive. You can take the train from Florence to Seina and the car rental agencies are close to the train station. It worked great for us.

Posted by
66 posts

Tim, In June, after our stay in Florence, we rented a car from the Florence airport and drove to Castellina in Chianti, then other Tuscan towns during the week. It was incredibly easy to rent and drive from the airport in Florence. From our hotel on Via Tornabouni in Florence, we took a taxi ride to the airport. Don't remember how much that ride cost, but for us, it was well worth the ease of driving out of the Florence airport. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Buon viaggio!

Posted by
166 posts

Renting at the Florence train station puts you right in the middle of intense traffic and a bear of a one-way system. I'd rent from the airport. It's not the easiest rental location (the car park is cramped and somewhat confusing), but far easier to get out of town from there. Regards, Mathew

Posted by
8 posts

All, Thanks for the invaluable information! I have driven in some dicey situations in various countries and do not wish to repeat it. I will rent from the airport, and most likely return in Sienna. We are headed to Amalfi anyhow. Best Regards, Tim

Posted by
527 posts

We used Autoeurope and picked up at Via del Gelsimino 11, Florence. We arrived by train from Pisa and took a brief taxi to pickup away from the chaos of Florence. From there we drove to Chianti staying over in Radda.

Posted by
265 posts

You can look at GOOGLE maps, find your hotel and see how far it is from Avis at Borgo Ognissanti, 128
50123 Florence, Italy. Europecar or Sicily rent a car is also around there. You might be closer to the train terminal, but this gives you an alternative. Watch out with the ZTL's, they will explain to you at the hotel or the rental agency how they work, so ask.