Please sign in to post.

Rental Car

Hello all, 1st off I love this forum so much! Thank you everyone!
I always like to pay for rental cars when I pick them up, but I have read nightmare stories like a bunch of fees get added in Italy. If I lock in a rate on a site like Expedia, will that be the amount I pay when I rent? I reserved with Avis and I am a preferred Avis member.

Please share your experiences.

TIA

Posted by
15899 posts

Not sure what fees we are talking about. You will be pressured to purchase additional full coverage no deductible insurance as well as towing insurance, but you can decline. By law you cannot decline CDW insurance in Italy.

I usually use www.autoeurope.com (a broker). Check their rates and compare.

Posted by
15 posts

Hi, what I mean is more than the agreed to amount when I reserved the car. So sorry if that didn't make sense.....

Posted by
15899 posts

In Italy I always rented through AutoEurope and never had extra charges that I remember, except for a 15€ one way drop off fee which are generally charged locally, although not all companies do.
I rented at Avis in Florence through I think Kayak once. They pressure me to purchase no deductible extra insurance, which I did. Just be aware that since you cannot decline CDW most IS credit cards will not cover you there, however some may cover the deductible, which is at least 1000€. When I use AutoEurope I select the no deductible coverage on top of the standard insurance provided by the rental company. That no deductible option increases the rental cost by about $10 more a day but it’s peace of mind for me.