Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Drop Off

We'll be renting a car via Autoeurope, picking it up in Siena before moving on to Montepulciano and then ending in Montefalco. Our plans call for us to stay at the Hotel Tiber the last night (Wednesday) before flying out of FCO at 11:15am. I have some questions.

• We'll be staying at the Antica Residenza in Siena. Would the Hertz agency be the easist place to pick up a car?

• I'm planning to drop the car at FCO Wednesday and then catch the shuttle to the Tiber. We're unaccustomed to city traffic and are wondering what traffic is like getting to the airport.

• If dropping the car at the airport makes the most sense, can anyone provide some guidance for getting from the car drop off area to catch the shuttle?

Posted by
2111 posts

How will you be getting to Siena? Where will you be coming from?

Have you made reservations with Hotel Tiber? Do you want to spend any time in Rome? Does Hotel Tiber have a free shuttle to Rome?

Posted by
15168 posts
  1. Hertz is slightly closer to your hotel than Europcar, although in both cases you need to take a taxi, especially with luggage. You cannot drive back to your hotel, which is in a traffic restricted zone, therefore go to the car agency after checking out with the luggage with you.

2. The drive to the airport from Tuscany is all on freeways. You will be driving on the GRA (Grande Raccordo Anulare, or Grand Ring Beltway) around Rome. The Beltway gets busy at rush hour therefore try to be there in the early afternoon.

3. Does the Tiber have a private courtesy shuttle? In that case ask the hotel where the shuttle stops. Otherwise take a taxi.

Posted by
200 posts

We will only have carry-on luggage. It looked like Hertz might be walkable from our hotel; I guess not. Another post indicated that there is a shuttle to the Tiber that you catch at P26 (sorry for not including that in the original post) but I have no idea where P26 is and can't seem to find a map of the airport with this sort of info.

We're going from FCO to Siena to start our trip and are hoping to catch the direct Baltour bus. Failing that we should be able to catch the direct train from FCO to Florence and than catch a bus back to Siena (this seems to be entail the least amount of travel time).

We do have reservations at the Tiber, which can still be canceled, and were not planning on visiting Rome. The shuttle to the airport is not free ($6) so I doubt they have a free shuttle to Rome.

Posted by
15168 posts

Hertz is about 3/4 of a mile away from your Siena hotel, so with light luggage is doable in about 20-25 min

Posted by
2111 posts

Since you are flying in to FCO, compare the price of renting the car there instead of in Siena. Sometimes there’s a stiff additional fee when you drop off the car in a different location. Driving from FCO is easy and does not involve driving in Rome. We landed in Rome in the morning and I had no problems hopping in the car and driving to Greve in Tuscany.

Also consider staying at the FCO Hilton your last night. We checked in early afternoon and I returned our car to Hertz. We then caught the free shuttle to Rome and took a charming evening walking tour. The next morning, we had a nice breakfast then took the free shuttle to our departure terminal.

Posted by
200 posts

We had considered getting a car in Rome but we will be in Siena for 5 days without much need of a car and it seems like it would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I'll definitely look into the price difference just to make sure.

We're discussing changing from the Tiber to the Hilton.

Does anyone know if a detailed map of FCO is available? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Posted by
15168 posts

You can find maps of FCO on line. However you don’t need it to return your car. The Hilton is great to spend the last night. The skywalk connects the hotel to the terminal and halfway between the two, along the same skywalk, is the parking garages with the rental cars.

Posted by
1825 posts

I've walked to the Hertz in Siena a couple of times, take a cab if you are coming from the town center. It's not far but but the lower road is rather bust with traffic. We've stayed at Hotel Italia with a car (twice) because they are outside the walls and near the top of the escalator, the walk into town isn't far and they have parking. I've dropped off at the Hertz in Orvieto and taken a train to Rome (Orvieto is great for a night or two). I've also picked up a rental at FCO and it's all highway and of course confusing airport stuff but by then you'll be an old pro at driving in Italy.

Posted by
11156 posts

You can walk to Hilton FCO from Car tentacles drop off.
I would recommend renting the car at FCO too. Don’t you want to explore the beautiful countryside and Chianti villages and vineyards near Siena? Look at , Panzano, Radda, Greve,
Castellina.

Posted by
200 posts

We will be taking a day trip or two from Siena to Florence and plan on exploring the area from Montepulciano.

Posted by
2111 posts

We had considered getting a car in Rome but we will be in Siena for 5 days without much need of a car and it seems like it would be more trouble and expense than it's worth.

The screen saver on my computer at work is a photograph of Siena I took on our visit. It's wonderful you have that much time to explore such a wonderful town.

I hope you have a great time!

Posted by
200 posts

Thanks everyone!

BTW - I have maps of FCO from their site but was trying to figure out what/where P26 is. Probably a silly question and will be self evident.