Please sign in to post.

Rental car drop off

We will be using a rental car for a week in Tuscany in September. Our schedule has us then going to the Cinque Terre on a Sunday. We are wondering if it would be easier to drop off the car at the Florence or the Pisa airport, and then what is the best way to get to the appropriate train station for the trip to the CT. Thanks

Posted by
148 posts

You're doing the opposite of what I'm doing in May. I'm leaving CT, taking a train to Pisa Centrale and picking up a car at the Hertz in downtown Pisa for our stay in Tuscany. I suggest you do the opposite and drop off in Pisa. The downtown location is about a 8-10 minute cab ride to Pisa Centrale. You can catch a train to CT from there (you may have to change trains in Spezia, unless you are going to Monterosso). You can also drop off at the airport in Pisa. According to google maps it's a shorter cab ride (6min) but sometimes airport locations cost more, so I wouldn't do that to save a few minutes. Where are you staying in Tuscany? I don't think it make sense to drop off in Florence unless you are staying a relatively short drive from the airport. Going straight to Pisa would be more direct IMO. Who are you renting from? We got a great deal from AutoEurope and the customer service was excellent when I needed to change my dropoff city.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks. We will be going to Monterosso. We will be staying a week at Agriturismo Cretaiole near Piensa. Buon viaggio to you

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Bob. You could also drop the car off in La Spezia. That's what we did on our way from Tuscany to the CT.

Posted by
3313 posts

There are no extra charges to drop rental cars at airports, just to pick up.