Please sign in to post.

rental car

Leaving for venice on Sept 29th. Would like to rent a car upon leaving venice and drive to Assisi. It seems driving is shorter than the train. My problem is I can't find a place to drop the car off and get a train to Rome after our stay in Assisi. I am searching surrounding areas. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Posted by
10344 posts

I may be that, upon further thinking and research, you will find that driving will not be materially shorter than the train, after you factor in the time needed to get to the rental car pickup location, fill out the car rental paperwork, and then do the same things on the destination end (finding the car return location, etc). What I am saying is: if the only reason you are renting the car is to shorten the Venice to Assisi leg of the trip, if that is the only reason, then you should reconsider whether the train will be less complicated and more relaxing. The train is about 5 and 1/2 hours, compared to the straight driving time, without any consideration of stops, of 4 and 1/2 hours. Add to the 4 and 1/2 hours the time for driving stretch breaks, getting lost once or twice (oh yes, it is Italy), plus the time mentioned above to pick up the car and drop the car off.

Posted by
32212 posts

Lori, To add to Kent's reply, keep in mind also that you'll need to be careful not to violate any ZTL zones (ie: expensive tickets in the mail a few months after you return home). You'll need the compulsory International Driver's Permit to drive in Italy, which must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. I agree with the points Kent mentioned - when all is considered, train may actually be the better route. Good luck and Happy Travels!

Posted by
842 posts

Ditto Denise, and......... you have another option. Dump the car in Rome at the large auto rental lot under the Villa Borghesee. (all the majors are there...check it out on your car rental web site, or Auto Europe web site) You walk down the stairs and you are at the Spanish Steps, where you can easily grab the Metro or bus to your room. We picked up our rental car there, and it was an easy drive out of Rome. And like Denise said; make sure that you have your GPS with you.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks, that does make more sense. I thought possibly it may be a nice drive but with all the rules maybe not. I guess I just need to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Posted by
850 posts

Lori, if you are just going to stay in Assisi then the train would be better for the reasons Kent stated. If you are going to use Assisi as a base and take day trips in Umbria and into Tuscany then I would go with the car. Those areas are best explored by car. When you get ready to turn in the car you could drive to Orvieto and probably turn in your car. Take the train into Rome from there. Check with Autoeurope or Gemut for rental rates and they can also tell you the drop off points.

Posted by
22 posts

We are staying in Assisi for four days and taking day trips and then going on to Rome from there. We fly out of Rome. I know I can drop the car off in foligno and take the train to Rome but I'll check Orvietto also. Thanks

Posted by
1633 posts

Drop the car off in Orvieto (possibly the train station for AutoEurope) and take a train to Rome (little over an hour). We drove all over Italy 3 yrs. ago and will do it again next month. We'll drive to the hilltowns in Tuscany and Umbria, where the trains don't go. As everyone has noted, get the international drivers license at your local AAA. It costs $15, a photo, and does not require a test. Get a GPS with your car and buy good Michelin maps at the local bookstore or on the online store here on this website. And, as everyone has said, stay out of the ZTL zones in the larger cities, although someone has mentioned that Siena now has ZTL zones. We park on the outskirts and take public transportation in. Have fun which ever way you travel!

Posted by
787 posts

Given that you'll want the car for day trips around Assisi, then picking up the car as you leave Venice makes a lot of sense. The last time we visited Umbria (we stayed in Spello), we dropped our rental car (through AutoEurope) in Foligno - the rental place is about 5 steps from the main door of the train station - and took the train from there into Rome. It worked out very nicely.

Posted by
2829 posts

I now live in Europe and I never sideline an opportunity to drive. The secret? Use your car as an empowerment: instead of taking the normal highway route, stop in a random city over the Apennines for one hour or two. And the just take a side road if you feel the area particularly scenery. Take advantage of your auto-mobility. As for the ZTL (Zona Traffico Limitato): they are all signed. Assume you can't drive on them. Many small medieval cities have them too. Finally, take 30 min. at home to familiarize with European traffic signs, particular those that indicates obligatory direction (blue circles with white arrows), preferential road and start-point-of-town-regulations. It is easy, and can save you worries.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards driving. My husband drove in Scotland and Ireland without any problems and I do like to stop off in towns on the way. This way I can rent the car in Venice and drive to Assisi, spend four days then drop car off and hop on a train for Rome.