Please sign in to post.

rental car?

This is not our first trip to Italy but it is our first time to rent a car. Which would you choose? Fiat 500, Panda, or Ford Ka? I feel like we should drive Italian while in Italy but we have always liked the little KAs. Recommendations?

Posted by
1170 posts

I would imagine that you will end up taking what they offer you. My last trip, I thought I was renting a BMW hatchback and got a mid-sized Chevrolet SUV instead. In Salerno, I wanted a B-Class Mercedes and got a C-Class instead. I wanted the smaller Mercedes to drive the Amalfi Road. The C-Class was too big as was the Chevy SUV, but this is what I got. I think that they give Americans the larger vehicles because they believe that this is what we prefer. What you think you are renting is not necessarily the car you will get.

Posted by
26 posts

Well, that's a bummer - they shouldn't ask you what you want then. Well here's hoping for a tiny Italian car!

Posted by
689 posts

You get what they have at the moment. We always reserve a car with a back seat and a trunk as we have elderly parents with us and we have about a 2 hour drive to their village in Abruzzo. We ended up with an SUV last year. It was ok - but hard to park in the village.

Posted by
10344 posts

In some areas of Europe (Italy and parts of the UK come to mind) about the last thing you want is to be upgraded to a larger size car than you need. On those narrower roads, size does matter: the smaller the better.:)

Posted by
26 posts

I asked for an economy car because I wanted a small car - not because I'm cheap - OK, I'm a little cheap - but I absolutely do not want to be upgraded.

Posted by
10344 posts

Gary: "I absolutely do not want to be upgraded."Exactly right! You've been to Italy before, even though you didn't drive, and you probably remember how narrow some of those roads and parking spaces are, sometimes with building walls practically up to the road edge. You'll be thanking yourself you insisted on turning down the upgrade and insisting (if possible) on your smaller size car. Let the next traveler settle for the "free" upgrade.

Posted by
1170 posts

The mid-sized Chevy SUV I was given barely fit (with mirrors folded) into the space in the parking garage in Siena. Some doofus pulled up right along beside me and blocked me in. I had to crawl in through the back window of the SUV and across the back seat and into the driver's seat. The German tourists waiting for my space laughed hilariously!