Please sign in to post.

"REGIONALE" Train Tickets: IMPORTANT CHANGES effective Aug 1, 2016

Effective today August 1, 2016, 'Regionali' Trains tickets are no longer valid for usage for 2 months.

From now on, when you buy a 'Regionale' train ticket you MUST SPECIFY your intended TRAVEL DAY in addition to the destination.

You will be able to use the ticket and travel ONLY on the specified Travel Day (by Midnight).

On the Travel Day, you must complete your trip within 4 hours from the time you validate the ticket at the stamping machine. If the 4 hours expire while you are still on board traveling on the train, you will still be able to reach your specified destination without penalty.

If you need to change the Day of Travel, you can do so ONLY ONCE by MIDNIGHT of the day before.

These changes were enacted today to avert fare evasion, since many passengers do not validate the tickets and re-use them on subsequent days.

Posted by
16894 posts

Thanks, Roberto. Since tickets purchased online already had similar restrictions, I understand your message to apply to tickets purchased from machines and ticket agents.

Posted by
3970 posts

Thanks for this timely update! We're leaving for Italy and beyond tomorrow.

Posted by
11613 posts

if you bought regionale tickets before 1 August, they are valid. Only tickets purchased on and after 1 August must meet the requirements that Roberto stated.

Posted by
771 posts

Thanks, Roberto. I will be helping a sibling plan their Italy trip, so I won't give them misinformation about the trains. You are a great source of information, thanks!

Posted by
5252 posts

Roberto, Thanks for this information!

These changes were enacted today to avert fare evasion, since many passengers do not validate the tickets and re-use them on subsequent days.

It's unfortunate that the flexibility of using the 'Regionali' tickets (any time) within the 2 month period will no longer exist... But I can understand the reasons behind the change.

Thanks again!

Posted by
1059 posts

Thank you for sharing this. I have already forwarded it to two couples that will be in Italy at the end of the month. You are such a good source of information.

Posted by
752 posts

Regionale tickets used to be good for six hours. So my question is:

do we have to be onboard a train when the four hours expire?
What if we're still waiting at a station for a no-show train when the ticket expires?

And I'm confused about how ppl get away with not validating a ticket and using them again! The ONE time I failed to validate a ticket I was going from Napoli to Riardo, a tiny empty stone shack out in a weed field with a big dog patrolling the grounds and an elderly lady hanging out an upstairs window watching me. I made it thru two conductors, but the third conductor read me the Riot Act, the locals were cringing and I thought I was going to jail ! I played dumb just to survive that.

Even when I'm safely validated I still have to suffer thru two to three conductors checking and re-checking! The only train that never checked me at all was the Leonardo Express!