Please sign in to post.

regional trains to Italo high speed train

We would like to travel Florence to Naples via the Italo high speed trains. We would like to buy early to take advantage of the advance purchase pricing. The hotel we are leaving is in Pisa, thus we need to purchase Pisa to Florence on a regional Trenitala train, which we are unable to do this far in advance. Having never connected trains in Italy, I ask you

1. Is it risky to connect regional Trenitalia trains with Italo? (If regional train is late causing us to miss the Italo train, etc). And if so is Trenitalia high speed a better option to buy early?

2. How much connection time is reasonable for this trip in Florence?

Posted by
353 posts

Hi Brandon,

1. Not risky as long as you have enough time to change trains. I'd definetly buy the Italo train ticket ahead to get the best price. You can buy them al least 60 days out through www.italotreno.it/EN. There's no need to buy regional or InterCity trains ahead. Just get them at any Italian train station a few days beforehand.

2. 15-20 min. should be enough time to connect trains. There are trains every hour between Pisa and Florence, so just leave Pisa on an earlier train to give yourself plently of time. You can always go buy a snack for the trip to Naples in the station if you have a lot of time to wait.

Posted by
355 posts

Another added perk with Italo - is their waiting room. It's quiet and most times you can actually find a seat while you wait. So the idea of having to wait between trains becomes much more enjoyable. There are 'boards' in the waiting rooms where they display up to the minute information regarding the track your next train will be on.
After a couple of trips on Italo last fall, I will definitely use them every time I can.

Posted by
2026 posts

Italo was great. The early purchase options were a good deal. Their website was simple and easy....a huge plus for me. They are now our go-to railroad in Italy if they cover the area we need. I believe that with a slight upgrade you might have flexibility to change should you get messed over, but not certain. That feature may be available (?) on the basic fare, but I didn't study the fine print much for either basic or upgraded. We upgraded to some type of fare for more room or wifi or something; it wasn't more than a few euro and I was feeling flush after getting the early discount. And yes, they offered a waiting room (somewhere) with real people, gracious and helpful, and comfy leather chairs that customers (gasp) could actually sit in. In Bologna, however, Italo was manned by a kiosk in the lobby area. I wish Italo would get more press on these blogs. We thought they were excellent. Advise your CC company of foreign travel purchases before you buy to insure smooth sailing when you hit "Purchase". Have a great trip and safe travels.