Please sign in to post.

Reggio Emilia

I am a solo women traveller from Australia holidaying in Italy for 28 days. I will be staying in Reggio Emilia for 2 full days and was hoping if there were any readers on the forum who have been to Reggio Emilia and have some information on the region. Thanks

Posted by
2047 posts

We loved Reggio. Very walkable and scenic. There is a small square that in the evening has outdoor tables with wonderful meat and cheese plates. The place is not over run with tourists. We also really liked all the citities lined up in that region- Bologna, Modena, Reggio Emelia, Parma.

Posted by
656 posts

Its a beautiful area. I have been nearby in Vignola the past 3 months. Parma, Bologna and Ferrara all have some nice things to see. I really like Bologna and go several times a month.

Posted by
7337 posts

The city of Reggio is very attractive, with a nice evening Passeggiata. It is walkable and well-connected by rail to larger cities, particularly Bologna. But we even returned to Florence by train for a once-weekly bus trip we couldn't do during our Florence stay. There's a nice weekly market, look up the day of the week. One nice think about R.E. is that it's rare to meet English-speaking tourists. I would shop in Reggio rather than big cities, if you see anything you like.

There is an excellent city museum, with notable Emilgian (sorry I don't know how to spell that word) paintings. Harder to see is a modern working replica (full size, I mean) of a Baroque Theater. (Not all performances there exploit that fact - some just use it as a "theater." I remember that one of the best dishes in city restaurants was pizza. The best I've had in the world, including Naples. I haven't been there in years, but a local group using the name Condor in their names was very good. I think Bollito Misto is a local specialty, but not my favorite cuisine. I would think it's hard to visit a Parmiggiano factory without a car.

R.E. is not a must-visit, but perhaps a hidden gem for those with a gentle, un-rushed schedule. If you pass through the Bologna rail station, do go outside and look at the plaque memorializing the 1980 bombing. It has always struck me how Americans think their exposure to terrorism is unique and special.