Please sign in to post.

Recommendations for Post RS Italy Venice, Florence, Rome tour April 2025

My partner and I will be flying to Venice April 4 for RS tour of Venice, Florence & Rome that will end April 16 in Rome. I would like to schedule a full 2 weeks in Italy and leave 2 days after the tour possibly the 18th which is Good Friday. I can reserve the same room we will have with the tour in Rome but my concerns are that with the Jubilee and Easter weekend it will not be so enjoyable in Rome and may present problems with transportation to the airport and getting around. I am wondering if anyone can suggest an alternative city or site with less crowds and easy access where we can stay the extra 2 nights and fly home from there and skip flying from Rome.

Posted by
5407 posts

How about coming in early before the tour? We did this tour precovid , and I had to admit we were exhausted afterwards. It a great tour, but with the early calls, (to wisely get into the museums before the crowds), and the leisurely late Italian dinners, we didn't have any energy left at the end.
Good Friday and Easter weekend do get very crowded, in all the Italian cities. If you can, avoid this weekend.
You will have a great time on this tour. Enjoy!

Posted by
8818 posts

Agreeing with Pat. We flew into Milan a few days early, and took the train to Varenna on Lake Como. Then we took the train too Venice for the start of the tour. We were tired at the end of the tour and ready to get home. I guess you could do that at the end, just knowing Milan is an alternative airport.

Posted by
5407 posts

Stan, Lake Como is a great idea, again at the beginning. I'm sure Lake Como will be fully booked Easter weekend, and that regional train will be SRO over the Easter holiday.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for the responses. I have planned to fly into Venice (not booked flights yet) and already reserved our room for 2 days prior to the beginning of the tour. Sounds like going home from Rome and not extending a couple of days will be best after the tour ends as it might be overwhelming. We are in great shape for over 65 and 70 but I understand large crowds can be exhausting. Now to decide if I want to go even earlier and fly into Milan?

Now beginning to think it would be just as good to still fly into Venice only a day or two earlier and plan a day trip from Venice.

Posted by
5407 posts

Perhaps cost will dictate where you arrive. For some reason this year, flying into Venice has been much more expensive than flying into Milan. We just booked our May 2025 business class seats, and would prefer Venice, but decided on Milan instead, due to significant fare differences. And, going to Lake Como first is just so wonderful.

Google Flights can help you research flight prices. It's a great tool, and you can set up Alerts. Have a great trip!

Posted by
284 posts

We did this tour last October. It was so much fun!! We had a pre-tour night in Venice and then 2 post-tour nights in Rome. However, we were not up against Holy Week. I can't even imagine the crowds in Rome for those days. Plus, the Jubilee Year. Flying into Milan is probably a lot saner and, as pointed out above, cheaper option.

Posted by
6 posts

Good thoughts! Thank you. I have wanted to see Lake Cuomo. Would you recommend going there from Milan then to Venice? Is this doable?

Posted by
11723 posts

Lake Como is easier to reach from Milan than from Venice, if you want to do it pre-tour flying into Milan is the better choice.

Posted by
10 posts

@SLHo7, arriving a few days before the tour starts is what we do. The tour ends in the morning. You could go stay at a hotel closer to the airport for another night.

Posted by
6 posts

Any recommendations for day trips from Venice? I am finding the flights are less expensive from ROC to Venice than to Milan. Better time frame options as well. If I book flights that give us 3 days before the tour we would then have time for a day trip I believe.

Padua is a perfect day trip from Venice

It’s a 30 minute train or bus ride.
If you go , be sure to reserve tickets to the Scrovegni Chapel with Giotto’s frescoes well in advance.. Basilica of Saint Anthony, University of Padua,and plenty of other sights for a full day trip.

Posted by
6 posts

After spending hours scouring flight schedules to Venice and Milan with multi-city searches I could not find one I felt comfortable with from our city that had sufficient layover times. I finally decided to take a nonstop roundtrip flight leaving from a neighboring city going directly into and out of Rome that arrives 4 days ahead of our tour start in Venice. And since we end in Rome we will easily fly directly out from there the day after the tour ends. This way we won't have any worries about too tight layover times and missing flights in between. Now we have the opportunity to spend 2 to 3 days going from Rome to Venice and explore in that region if we want to. Any suggestions for an in-between Rome and Venice place to visit and stay would be very welcome and highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted by
6989 posts

Land in Rome and take train right to Orvieto for 2 nights
Then train to Venice for the next two
The tour doesn’t give you enough time in Venice -or Rome for that matter